A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are Microsoft so crap?

Sorry to hijack like this but I'm getting a little paranoid. Have any of you heard of a power adaptor being fried due to an electrical surge, but the computer its powering remain fine?

Some of the electriconics around my room went off momentarily and I'm wondering if somehow my adaptor got fried.

Resume the geek slapping!

Not another Mac-attack!

Why do so many people use MS? Becuase it's cheap and easy to set up and learn. It's easy to get online. 90% of the worlds software and hardware is designed to run with it. Better to ask why, if Mac's are so great, why does Apple spend more money converting their software to run with windows than they do developing software to run on a Mac?

Think it's the end user

Re: Re: Why are Microsoft so crap?

Originally posted by Markp.com
    [BThats rubbish! Many MAC programs crash! The thing is with MACs you get that annoying bomb with the restart button and you can't do anything else.

With Windows you just push CTRL+ALT+DEL and kill the program thats crashing [/B]
    I've think I've only got the bomb a couple times (first time it just cracked me up) but what REALLY annoys me is that bloody spinning rainbow wheel.

I guess some genius over at apple thought "hey, when a program crashes or something locks up, lets placate the enraged user with a rainbow circle!!" With windows, I love alt+ctrl+del. Whenever a programs stalls on me, I just call that up, and most of the time I can just end it from there. With a mac, I give up after about 1 minute of watching the damn rainbow wheel, and turn the computer off and back on. That in itself is another feat, holding the power button down for a minute until the computer final clues in to that you want it OFF.

As for their older laptops, sometimes the only way to get those things to restart was to yank the battery out, I remember sitting in on a class while my prof had to call the computer lab technicians because his old powerbook had crashed and it wouldn't let him turn it off.

Originally posted by iaskwhy
    why does Apple spend more money converting their software to run with windows than they do developing software to run on a Mac?
    What? I hope you're joking. Most of Apples team is working on OS X and software for it, like the whole studio suite and most of the iLife apps.

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

Re: Re: Re: Why are Microsoft so crap?

Originally posted by stevietat
    I love alt+ctrl+del. Whenever a programs stalls on me, I just call that up, and most of the time I can just end it from there. With a mac, I give up after about 1 minute of watching the damn rainbow wheel
    Try alt, the key with the apple logo on it and esc. Some apps even have the content you where working on open when you restart them again.

Fredi

>> I'm now going to jump out in the open and say: why are Microsoft so rubbish?

Can you write a better OS?
    If yes, by all means do so.
    If no, then say thanks to Bill for what he made for you or switch to Mac or DOS or whatever...

Originally posted by bratok
    Can you write a better OS?
    Give me the OS X team and I can.

Fredi

NOTE: This is not a Mac vs. Windows thread, this is a why is Microsoft so stupid thread. But most of you will be arrogant and ignore this comment.

no offence meant,
    but if you dont like microsoft don't use them.
    simple as that.

Originally posted by darkstar
    no offence meant,
    but if you dont like microsoft don't use them.
    simple as that.
    If only. I'm forced to have a windows machine (or virtual PC), just to test if my websites still work correctly in IE on XP (yeah, IE on the Mac is not the same as IE on the PC) and I need office just to be able to open client files as I can't tell them: "Use a non MS tool if you want to send me files, damn it!"

Fredi

Originally posted by Subway
    If only. I'm forced to have a windows machine (or virtual PC), just to test if my websites still work correctly in IE on XP (yeah, IE on the Mac is not the same as IE on the PC) and I need office just to be able to open client files as I can't tell them: "Use a non MS tool if you want to send me files, damn it!"

Fredi
    OpenOffice views and edits MSOffice files... I don't use MSOffice at all

What? I hope you're joking. Most of Apples team is working on OS X and software for it, like the whole studio suite and most of the iLife apps.

Fredi
    No, I wasn't joking. But it turns out I was wrong in my basic thinking. Somewhere along the line, I got the idea that Apple and Adobe were owned by the same people. As it turns out, they are just symbiotic. But that may change, and leave apple on the stick.

BTW, a computer needs a lot more than an OS to be worth bothering with. Like, everything software?

"Right now, it's in a colder period. Signs of frost have been accumulating for the past couple of years, with Adobe dropping Macintosh support for several software products and introducing others as Microsoft Windows-only applications. At the same time, Apple has quietly pushed Adobe out of a few markets by selling its own applications or bundling them into its OS X operating system."

http://news.com.com/2100-1012-5181434.html

The whole Adobe/Apple thing has been going on mostly because Apple keeps making programs that "bite" into Adobe's market... thus Adobe dropping Framemaker, Premiere (thanks to Final Cut). And only time will tell if Adobe will drop After Effects for the Mac due to Apple Motion.

But it's not only Adobe dropping support for the Mac.

Corel stopped CorelDRAW, but that was mostly due to Adobe Illustrator and Macromedia Freehand being the #1 and #2 choice for vector programs.

And there are some others... like Microsoft stopping IE at 5.2.2 (which sucked anyway).

And with the Mac userbase being only 2-3% of the machines out there, that's an ultra-small portion to fight for if you're not the top choice.

But to say that Microsoft sucks... naw, I've seen the user be more of a problem moreso than anything else. But they do produce some buggy stuff every now-and-then.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Well, I think there is method to the MS madness. I can only guess at the amount of "extra" stuff I've learned while being forced to keep my old PC's running. Isn't that part of computing, working out the bugs? I know I'm better for it. It's forced me to learn all kinds of new stuff I never would have known if the things had never crashed.

I never would have known if the things had never crashed.
    Did you just say software bugs are something good?

Ever though about the amount of money that those bugs have cost the industry and what could have been done with that money, like transfering it to my bank account and making me way richer then Bill?

Fredi

Did you just say software bugs are something good?

Ever though about the amount of money that those bugs have cost the industry and what could have been done with that money, like transfering it to my bank account and making me way richer then Bill?

Fredi
    I said I learned a lot because of those bugs. I can't say they were fun at the time, but because I didn't have extra money then, I had to learn enough to fix them myself.

Uncle Bill may have a ton of money, but he didn't make it all off me. 90% of the worlds computer users helped me make him rich. That is no reason to bash him for what his company has done for the world. I can say this, if it weren't for relatively cheap Windows based PC's, I never would have have gotten into the business at all. With the millions of Grannies and other "just folks" out there behind me, even Mac's wouldn't have become as popular as they have, without MS users to break trail for them. The internet became a viable entity because a gazillion people with PC's wanted it, not because 538 Mac users did.

Another thing to think about, Bill use to be Apple. He left. I presume he had a reason?

Another thing to think about, Bill use to be Apple. He left. I presume he had a reason?
    Now it's getting funny.

Fredi

microsoft takes another trip from its release schedule... avalon, not quite ready for 2006 To be honest though with all the "bureaucratese" they must have to deal with im not surprised anyhing is never released on time.

I think a 6 month wait for a service pack is a bit off though, if you find a vulnerability it should be moved right to the top of your to-do list. Personally I use suse, its got everything I need (including flash and dreamweaver!) with none of the ms headaches. no viruses, no extortionate bill, everything compiled for my box so no crashing. I havent turned the thing off for about 2 months now and its still running as fast as when I first installed it.

If you have the time give Linux a go, you might be surprised and at the very least you might learn a thing or two. A day without learning something new is truly a waste. (unless you have a hangover))

as darkstar put it:
    if you dont like microsoft don't use them.
    Free the penguin!!!
    http://www.distrowatch.com/

so agree

just failed to log in to my microsoft account, me@live.co.uk

got message saying cant log you in, so sent a email to me@live.co.uk follow the instructions in the email to log in....

wait a min, cant log in to email BUT microsoft in their wisdom have sent me a email to read in THAT account BUT I cant read it...... BECAUSE I CANT log in DOH

no wonder steve Balmer is 1, crying 2, leaving LOL

Hi and welcome to flashkit.

I hope your stay is a pleasant one. Please don't pull up dead threads from nine years ago just to entertain yourself. You could always start a new thread if there is something that you wish to share with the group that is current.

Thanks,

Frets
    Super Moderator