A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are Microsoft so crap?

Why are Microsoft so crap?

My brother got a new hard drive today. It's great. 120GB of freedom to go with his existing 20GB.

So, while we're at it, Windows is playing up at the moment and being silly. The usual things, like not being able to change the desktop through the Display panel or taking 2 years to load if you right click anywhere in Explorer because it's trying to find some programs that don't exist to put in the New menu.

Install the usual things. Then poof, straight away, lsass.

Why is it so crap?

I'm now going to jump out in the open and say: why are Microsoft so rubbish?

Why doesn't my Mac get viruses?

Now you're going to say: that's because nobody writes viruses for Mac because it's pointless because not many people use it.

I'm going to say: that's total crap. The most popular web server in the world is Apache. Everything's Apache. Most of you use Apache on your servers or on your host. So why, on earth, are there no viruses for Apache?

Why are there no viruses for Photoshop?

Why are there no viruses for PHP?

Why are there no viruses for AIM?

So many large organisations use Linux to power their servers, such as NASA and the UN. So why aren't there any Linux viruses?

I don't know the answer to these questions. That's not the point though.

I really can't believe what Windows did though. Fresh copy of Windows XP, freshly formatted hard drive, loaded for the first time. First thing you do is remove the language bar. So, I clicked it, Windows Explorer crashed and I had to restart. Tried again, now it's gone.

Why? Why is it so stupid?

Why does it take 30 seconds to apply new network preferences when OS X does it in 1.

Why does the desktop preferences stop working?

Why do applications stop working and then you can't remove them from the Add/Remove Programs list because they don't exist?

Why is Internet Explorer so slow?

Why on earth can't Microsoft be bothered to update Internet Explorer? It can't even support PNGs properly and that's been around for years now.

Why, on my Mac, the ONLY programs to crash are: Word, Excel and MSN Messenger? I'm using loads of programs, I've got the iLife suite, I've got Fireworks and Dreamweaver, I've got Photoshop Elements, I've got lots of other little apps, even a few 3rd party ones made by individuals. None of them crash. Only Microsoft products.

What do Microsoft actually do with their time?

I'm having a look at the new operating systems coming out soon. Name one new feature that's in Longhorn that's worth while. Go on, and I mean proper features, not some techno-jargon. Like proper programs that are useful to productivity and working. FOR EXAMPLE, Mac OS X 10.4 has got Spotlight and Automator, as two of it's new main features. Both brilliant ideas that are going to change the way most people work

NOTE: This is not a Mac vs. Windows thread, this is a why is Microsoft so stupid thread. But most of you will be arrogant and ignore this comment.

So, why are Microsoft so lazy? What do they keep getting wrong? Why did Windows 98 crash on Bill Gates when they were trying to launch it. Why does it restart when this stupid virus comes up?

Why did Microsoft make the Office keyboard, moving around all the F-keys, designing it so that it's impossible to use the F-keys when not in Windows (i.e. impossible to use when Windows stops working).

Why, oh why, oh why, are Microsoft so crap?

Why can Mozilla fix a large security flaw in Firefox in 12 hours but it takes Microsoft 6 months to release a Service Pack?

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Asside from the amuzing msblast.exe, I have never had a problem with ms.

There have been apache virii.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Addicted To FruityLoops Studio FlashKid105's Avatar
    I guess Microsoft is either unwilling to release a service pack or those people are a bunch of fraidy cats
    Last edited by Markp.com; 10-08-2004 at 07:44 PM.

TallGuyLittleCar: Do you use Firefox or Internet Explorer as your primary browser?

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    firefox of course, do i look like a lunatic!

actually I use explorer sometimes.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

So, there is a problem with Internet Explorer?

why? why? why?

simply put:

Because they can.

Microsoft followers will buy their new stuff either way. Same with People that continue to buy American cars. Is the quality ever improved? NO! Are they better year after year? NO! But there are loyal customers.

In a world dominated by PC's MAC is a foreign object and a new OS to learn which takes TIME!

People go with what they know.

Why is McDonalds the #1 selling fastfood in the world? Is it the best? does it improve year after year? NO!

That's a nice answer.

Re: Why are Microsoft so crap?

Originally posted by asheep_uk
    Why, oh why, oh why, are Microsoft so crap?
    Wait for Longhorn, even more fun.

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

Why do I have to install 3rd party drivers to use the DVD player?

I'm gonna get Firefox sometime soon. I'm really paranoid about Internet Explorer turning into a rogue app

FOOTER REMOVED. MAX SIZE 300x40 PIXELS
    Last edited by Markp.com; 10-08-2004 at 07:43 PM.

ihoss.com
    Why there are no viruses for Linux or MAcs? Because the loosers who make them don't know how!

Oh, and if you could earn a lot of money by doing nothing, or earn exactly the same amount of money working your arse off, what would you do? What do you think M$ does? As someone said, Everyone buys at least one windows machine in their lifetime, so M$ can just live on that, and then let the people have the problems.

Originally posted by FlashKid105
    I'm gonna get Firefox sometime soon. I'm really paranoid about Internet Explorer turning into a rogue app

[HYJACK]

hey ur footer is oversize!!!

[/hyjack]
    Cannot comprehend this site still exists

I WANT MY MOMMY!

Seriously, I will get it dealt with asap

FOOTER REMOVED. MAX SIZE 300x40 PIXELS
    Last edited by Markp.com; 10-08-2004 at 07:43 PM.

BTW iForgotMyPassword,

I've got a quiz for ya:

Q: What is the maximum size for any image in a footer?

Max footer size is 300x40 pixels!
    Last edited by Markp.com; 10-08-2004 at 07:41 PM.

Originally posted by FlashKid105
    BTW iForgotMyPassword,

I've got a quiz for ya:

Q: What is the maximum size for any image in a footer?
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...threadid=41172

*Waits for someone to post a link to that Flash animation about posting in the Steam forums.*

Well I was about to post a reply defending Windows XP as I have had no problem with it, but the sweet mistress of irony has just paid me a visit.

I left my computer running as I left it, I come back and wake it up (it had gone to sleep) and now find that for some reason Windows will not recognize that my power adaptor is plugged in and is now running of battery. This is most probably down to some driver conflict (I just tried updating my graphics card drives), but System Restore didn't make a restore point - fantastic.

So I am trying to download SP2 so that I can do a complete format/reinstall and won't immediately be hit by some virus. SP2 will take 1hr 20min more to download, and my battery lasts me 1hr 30min - so here's hoping that indicator is accurate otherwise I am in trouble.

Re: Why are Microsoft so crap?

"Why is it so crap?"
    Its not, its developed on technology from the 80s, you can't expect it to be 100% amazing all the time! But it is improving and considering the thousands of different systems it runs on, the millions of combinations software/hardware... its amazing it runs at all!

MACs are preeeedy much a standard environment. Developers know what hardware they are working too.

MACs have had major overhalls in the last few years, ditching previous software, I know for a fact you have to update your OS to use newer versions of Quark and other industry standard packages.

"Why doesn't my Mac get viruses?"

Yeah it does. I've never had a virus on my windows machine.

"Why are there no viruses for Photoshop?"
    What about the recent JPG thing? Where code can be hidden in JPG headders? No doubt that'll crash photoshop.

"Why are there no viruses for PHP?"
    I've no idea!

"Why are there no viruses for AIM?"
    There are many many exploits for AIM!

"So why aren't there any Linux viruses?"
    Yup, there are... there are viruses and programs to disrupt all OS' its just windows is used by many thousands of people and idiots, that don't know how to protect their machines.

"I really can't believe what Windows did though. Fresh copy of Windows XP, freshly formatted hard drive, loaded for the first time. First thing you do is remove the language bar."
    Rubbish! You have to select the language bar in the installation!

"So, I clicked it, Windows Explorer crashed and I had to restart. Tried again, now it's gone."

Sounds like somekind of conflict native to your machine. Its not Windows fault you have dodgy hardware.

"Why? Why is it so stupid?"
    Its not. Users are.

"Why does it take 30 seconds to apply new network preferences when OS X does it in 1."
    Mine takes about 2-4 seconds, depending on what I'm doing. Again, this is down to your machine.

"Why does the desktop preferences stop working?"
    Um... what?

"Why do applications stop working and then you can't remove them from the Add/Remove Programs list because they don't exist?" They can, you just drop em from the registry, or use a free tool to remove them.

"Why is Internet Explorer so slow?"
    Mines great... I prefer FireFox... but mines fine... not as fast as firefox... but its totally different to firefox and again, was written many years before firefox.

"Why on earth can't Microsoft be bothered to update Internet Explorer? It can't even support PNGs properly and that's been around for years now."
    You fix it then! You like opensource, write a plugin for IE

"Why, on my Mac, the ONLY programs to crash are: Word, Excel and MSN Messenger? I'm using loads of programs, I've got the iLife suite, I've got Fireworks and Dreamweaver, I've got Photoshop Elements, I've got lots of other little apps, even a few 3rd party ones made by individuals. None of them crash. Only Microsoft products." Thats rubbish! Many MAC programs crash! The thing is with MACs you get that annoying bomb with the restart button and you can't do anything else.

With Windows you just push CTRL+ALT+DEL and kill the program thats crashing

"What do Microsoft actually do with their time?" Mostly playing basketball... I hear Bills a big fan...

"Name one new feature that's in Longhorn that's worth while."
    None, as its features aren't finalised... I think Microsoft will have to have a major rethink before releasing Longhorn. Their call back thing is going to kill them. There are so many nuts out there that will be desprate to disable the call back features. It will also put off many many people (myself included!)

"Go on, and I mean proper features, not some techno-jargon."
    Like their new format system... all the bennifits of NTFS/FAT32, all faster, all better...

"Spotlight and Automator, as two of it's new main features. Both brilliant ideas that are going to change the way most people work"
    What are they then?

"NOTE: This is not a Mac vs. Windows thread"
    It is!

"So, why are Microsoft so lazy?"
    Hehe... can a company be lazy?!

"What do they keep getting wrong?"
    I don't belive they do... I think there are problems yes, but you build something that works for millions of people across the world.

"Why did Windows 98 crash on Bill Gates when they were trying to launch it."
    Old... Was just bad timing and organisation I guess... I'd have had four of five machines hooked up to that monitor, so if one failed you just switch to the other machine, no one is the wiser.

"Why does it restart when this stupid virus comes up?"
    What virus? Didn't you protect your machine with a firewall and virus killer?

"Why, oh why, oh why, are Microsoft so crap? [/B]
    As I've said, they aren't

Don't get me wrong here, I'm no Microsoft fan boy! But I've tried nearly all OS' out there... Worked with MACs in a work environment and for fun... I think they are mainly eyecandy and not much substance.

Windows is a dominating force in the computing industry and I don't ever see MAC overtaking them...

Un/Linux on the other hand, I do see becoming second best... they just need to sort the installation of new programs... The average user is never going to sort that out!

Thanks Markp for taking one for the team. I was going to respond point-by-point like you did but had neither the time nor the inclination to respond to a post that was clearly created out of personal experience and not a global trend.

props.