dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Gravity & vectors

Gravity & vectors

Hey all,

I'm trying to make a 2D side-scrolling homage to Zarch, one of the best games EVAR to grace the Acorn Archimedes. In turn, it owed more than a little to Lander, in that you had a mouse-controlled craft whose rotation and thrust were under your control.

It's my first experiment in using vectors to calculate movement, and it seems to be working pretty well so far. However, I've run into a problem with gravity. Basically, I'm calculating a vector for the craft's position each frame, and subtracting a value representing gravity from it's y co-ordinate. However, I'm forced to use a constant for gravity, as I'm not explicitly storing the x and y speed of the craft. Should I be? Or is there a better way of doing this?

Code for the craft movie clip follows.

Code:
    onClipEvent(enterFrame){
    	//steering
    	mDY = Stage.height/2 - _root._ymouse;
    	this._rotation = mDY;

if(_root.mDown && thrust < mSpeed){
    		thrust = thrust * accel;
    	} else if(!_root.mDown){
    		thrust = thrust / decel;
    	}
    	//rad =Math.sqrt(_root.square(speed.x) + _root.square(speed.y)) + thrust;
    	rad =thrust
    	loc = {x: Math.cos(_root.degs2rads(this._rotation-90))*rad, y: (Math.sin(_root.degs2rads(this._rotation-90))*rad) + _root.grav};

this._x += loc.x;
    	this._y += loc.y;	

}
    accel, decel and _root.grav are constants stored outside of the enterFrame stuff:

Code:
    accel = 2;
    decel = 1.2;
    _root. grav=2;
    Last edited by prehensile; 10-11-2004 at 12:18 PM.

Hmmm.

On thinking about it a bit, I can see where I'm going wrong, and why I DO need to store speed. That'll teach me to post without working things through properly

if you want to do it properly with vectors you should store the x and y velocities and just add them to the x and y co-ordinates each frame. gravity becomes easy then as you just add a constant to your y velocity each frame

That's what I've ended up doing. Where I was having trouble was getting my head around the relationship between thrust and velocity, but I think it's sorted now. I'll post my WIP when it gets to a playable state if anyone's interested.

thrust relates directly to the acceleration on the object