A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Nubeee again

Nubeee again

I'm totally lost. I'm definately not a programmer. I've been using flash 4,5 and mx with no problem. Then I started using 2004 pro. Now I can't do anything! I try to "loadMovieNum" the way I used to and it doesn't work. I don't have the blanks to fill in. and I'm required to fill in "Method"? what is that? Did I miss something? or did flash just get extremely hard to use? Should I go back to MX? Is flash moving away from artists and designers? Or is there something that I totally missed and there is an easier way? I would appreciate any help. thanks a mill!

powersolo
    thanks a million!

Philadelphia, PA, USA, Earth, Sol System, Spiral Arm of Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe
    Macromedia made a decision (a poor one, I think) to discontinue "Normal" and "Expert" modes in the Actionscript panel in favor of a Dreamweaver-like "Behaviors" panel.

If you're not inclined to learn to write a bit of Actionscript directly, you'll find the ability to set up some actions with fill-in forms by using the Behaviors Panel.
    Argon Zark!, The original interactive webcomic (since 1995)

Philadelphia, PA, USA, Earth, Sol System, Spiral Arm of Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe
    Choose Window > Development Panels > Behaviors. Click on the plus sign to open the list and choose Movieclip > Load externel Movieclip.

You're going to be restricted in what you can do if you limit yourself to the Behaviors panel. It's really worth the time and effort to learn to write a bit of Actionscript directly.

Macromedia isn't moving away from artists and designers as much as they're segregating them from coders. Even dividing the panels into "Design Panels" and "Development Panels". An unfortunate course in my opinion.

learning

Charlie,

thanks for listening and responding. Apparantly I'm not the only person having these problems. I know a few designers who actually dropped out of flash creation (livemotion first, then flash then out!) because of the lack of programming knowledge. I've struggled and have tried unsuccessfully to learn more actionscript. I have several books but I can't seem to catch-on. I'll look for another book today on 2004 professional OR Actionscript for 2004 professional. I don't know that it will help. In the meantime, I suppose I'll have to retreat to flash MX once again or flash 5. I'm much better at graphics that programming. Does the new upgrade - mentioned in the sticky - deal with this issue? Surely Macromedia has felt a decline in customer satisfaction since their decision. Oh well, I can never get ahead. 3D software is another issue, but I won't get into that!

thanks again,

Powersolo
    thanks a million!

I can understand your frustration. I teach Flash and I run into the same issues in my classes.

Flash 6 (MX) still has the Expert/Normal Actions panel. The separation into Behaviors came with 7 (MX 2004).

When you're looking at books, take a look at Macromedia Flash MX 2004 Advanced, A Visual Quickpro Guide. Link

You may find a lighter touch in the approach here that in a dedicated Actionscript book.

Also take look at some of the Actionscript tutorials on kirupa.com
    Last edited by CharleyParker; 10-15-2004 at 11:28 AM.