A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's not our fault (MS), we blame you and only you!

It's not our fault (MS), we blame you and only you!

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition...esqa13.art.htm

Q: Speaking of security, Internet Explorer has had well-publicized holes …

Gates: Understand those are cases where you are downloading third-party software.
    So yeah, it's your fault, MS has nothing to do with it.

Q: Might you add anti-virus/spyware protection in Windows?

Gates: It's not a thing you build in. You have to offer a service. There are third parties who are doing a good job. We're always taking a hard look, but we don't have any concrete plans.
    Yeah, why should we do something against something that is not our fault?

Q: There is talk of a Google browser. Internet Explorer has had its security woes. How do you keep users?

Gates: More has been invested in making IE secure than any browser on the planet by a long shot. Nothing is going to change. That's the one over 90% of people are going to keep using.
    Again, it's not our fault, so we have no plans to change anything in the future. It's only your fault!

What a great company that is, they don't do anything wrong ... can anybody tell me what Bill was smoking lately?

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    quote:Q:That's the one over 90% of people are going to keep using.

lmao last i looked wasn't MSIE down to 76% thats exactly the same as last month and a drop from 77.3% on August...

i want to know how people like this get so successful from stuffing there head so deep in...

stats from: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

Originally posted by 1stbite
    lmao last i looked wasn't MSIE down to 76% thats exactly the same as last month and a drop from 77.3% on August...
    Maybe he only knows the stats of www.msn.com

Originally posted by 1stbite
    i want to know how people like this get so successful from stuffing there head so deep in...
    Don't ask me, I'm head shaking about the Bushes of this world for many years.

Fredi

so let me get this straight MS is an evil monopoly which minoritizes third party software distributers because it provides IE with it's OS but it is also evil because it doesn't provide anti virus software with it's OS
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."

ihoss.com
    No, its evil because they say "What, you want to install products on this machine? Then we don't take any responsiblility anymore." ITs like saying "What? You want to drive your car? Sorry, the insurance doesn't cover that"

Originally posted by ihoss.com
    No, its evil because they say "What, you want to install products on this machine? Then we don't take any responsiblility anymore." ITs like saying "What? You want to drive your car? Sorry, the insurance doesn't cover that"
    no not exactly. You buy a car and expect to drive it, just like you buy a computer and expect it to run out of the box.

If you want to attach a flamethrower and all kinds of pimped out equipment on your car, then yes, that can effect your insurance and the auto maker's liability for obvious reasons.

no more insurance...

Originally posted by Visionray
    If you want to attach a flamethrower and all kinds of pimped out equipment on your car, then yes, that can effect your insurance and the auto maker's liability for obvious reasons.
    So you say starting up IE and visiting a site on the www or opening a mail in outlook is similar like attaching a flamethrower to a car?

Fredi

Oh wow, an anti-MS thread. How original.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Originally posted by ViRGo_RK
    Oh wow, an anti-MS thread. How original.
    See it as a service.

Or should I use Bills logic and blame you for viewing the thread?

Fredi

i think my problem with the original post is:

when asked about security problems gates replies
    Gates: Understand those are cases where you are downloading third-party software.
    then goes on to say when asked about future development and the possiblities of packaging antivirus/spyware software
    Gates: It's not a thing you build in. You have to offer a service. There are third parties who are doing a good job. We're always taking a hard look, but we don't have any concrete plans.
    so what he is effectivily saying is, our stuff is secure as long as you dont use third party software on your machines... ie only microsoft software, but also he indorses (sp) the fact they don't do antivirus/spyware software 'services' as there plenty of third party vendors doing it already, so doesn't that mean he wants you to install third party software which automatically defaults you back to the answer he gave, 'its not our problem as you installed third party software'.

and isn't he also saying if you buy a computer setup only microsoft software on default settings (ie no setting that might cause a possible security issue) and use it, it will be secure... i think not...

so basically your screwed if you do and screwed if you don't... nice business practise????

Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

He said downloading third party software, not installing.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.

so how else am i to get my antivirus definition updates then if i don't download???

ie third party download = Norton + download

still screwed either way...
    Last edited by 1stbite; 10-15-2004 at 06:23 AM.

Give a Twit a chance!

Originally posted by ViRGo_RK
    He said downloading third party software, not installing.
    Most viruses, worms and trojans install and run without your knowing, they use those many security holes in IE, Outlook and other MS software to do that. You really don't have to install anything.

Fredi

I believe what he ment was downloading shady programs, not anti-virus updates.

Look, I'm not defending him, just making sure it's clear.

my point isn't that the virus comes from the download, just that gates is using third party downloads as an excuse in general...

IMO that would be like a car manufacturer selling you a car minus its door locks, then saying we don't make door locks because theres plenty of third party companies that make good door locks, O by the way if you fit a third party item to the car we are no longer responsible if it get broken into...

you have no choice but to fit the door locks to secure the car, and by doing so automatically relieve the car manufacturer from its responsibility... ????

same with gates its the fact he believes that by not supplying a secure system in the first place which forces you to use a third party (whether thats antivirus/spyware software or anything else), automatically relieves microsoft of any responsiblitiy, which in fact the issues may or may not stem from a third party... but definatly from the insecure microsoft system which gets exploited..

Give a Twit a chance!

Microsoft shouldnt take responsibility for 3rd party software, just like Mozilla shouldnt take responsibility for extentions.

thats just rubbish, but since its probable that he knows nothing of the specifics of IE's problems (why should he), what he says isnt axactly from the horses mouth on the subject. The horses mouth is
    this place, which has a "fresh IE security update" on the font page.
    This information is subject to change without notice and
    is provided "as is" with no warranty.

ihoss.com
    Originally posted by Visionray
    no not exactly. You buy a car and expect to drive it, just like you buy a computer and expect it to run out of the box.

No, I buy a computer expecting I can install programs that can run on it.

I wonder what Bill's computer is like, no Office (it doesn't come with the computer), no flashplayer, no java, no USB drivers, no games no nothing. BOORING

I'm pretty sure he's using OS X and Firefox for a long time now, so yeah, he just can't know about IEs problems after all.

Fredi

Originally posted by Subway
    So you say starting up IE and visiting a site on the www or opening a mail in outlook is similar like attaching a flamethrower to a car?

Fredi
    no but driving through south central or brixton is like visiting certain internet sites
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."