Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: preloader not loading properly

cheers mate...thanks a million

Banned
    Ok! Back on this now!

cool man, still here....

Banned
    So how's this...

Preloader's designed to not re-appear once the file is cached. So if you want to see it a second time, you'll have to clear your Internet cache, before hitting Refresh...

I'd still have to fix your main movie's preloader, which I believe is not working properly either!

edited
    Last edited by oldnewbie; 12-03-2004 at 12:05 AM.

sweet man...that looks great, i love the photo! hehe..yeah the main one isnt really working either eh...thats great though man thanks very much...

Banned
    Ok! Will check the main preloader now, and post the .fla as soon as I finish it...

I'd reduce the loading bar on that generic one, a bit large if you ask me... A smaller one would better fit the rest of your design!

thanks aloy man youre a life saver..yeah the bar needs to be reduced...it hadnt been properly aligned to the rest of the design...i was still more concerned about gettin the bloody thing to work

Banned
    I have a problem with this supposedly main movie... Where is the sound and the left part movie?
    Had you removed these from the .fla you posted?

Those could well be causing the problems with the main preloader...

yeah i removed them from the movie....the left part of the movie is in the main movie...it looks as if there is two parts but in fact there is one...the sound might be whats causing the problem....its in the first frame as a movie symbol...ideally though i think id rather have it as a streaming mp3...the actual soundbyte that im using is only there for test purposes...

Banned
    Well I'd have to have access to both elements, especially if your're going to use a linked streaming soundObject, which will most certainely cause a problem with the preloader... In any case you'll probably end in having to use yet a seperate other preloader only movie to preload your main movie...

Do you want me to hold on that, and just for now, post the current movie as is with the corrected generic preloader, and when you're more decided on your next steps, that we pick this up again?

Well if u reckon that a separte preloader only movie is the way to go then that sounds like a plan to me...it seems like the best way to go to avoid any conflict...you think?

Banned
    It would still work if you didn't really need it, so no harm in going that route anyways!

So, should I post the other .fla?

Don't get it mixed up with all your other files!

Yeah right, it would be no harm so might aswell do it separatly...thanks a million man...yeah you can post the other .fla...so u reckon u can show me how to do the preloader in a saparate movie? thanks again

Banned
    Here it is attached...

I've put the loadMovie action on the button , rather than in the preloader...
    And the 2 frame preloader is commented, you should understand most of it...

As for the seperate preloader movie, this is it basically...
    Quite similar to the generic preloader in fact...
    I guess you may want to integrate your own display (and I guess you may have future questions on that...), but that's the code...

http://odin.prohosting.com/~oldnew/f...ng/preload.htm

http://odin.prohosting.com/~oldnew/f...ng/preload.zip
    Last edited by oldnewbie; 12-02-2004 at 11:41 AM.

hey man thanks a million, can u check out my site and see what u reckon? I added a little graphic to the bar to show how long it is supposed to be....

thanks very much though man...i really appreciate your help

Banned
    A few problems though!

First you didn't notice that I've set the bar (on it's first frame within) to be invisible to start with... And it's only made visible if the file has not been cached yet, thus when the file is cached, the bar doesn't show up, as it shouldn't. But your's does! Defeats the purpose of how I've set this up, so that no preloader elements show up if the file is cached...

Next problem, is that if you click on that first button, view it and then close it, when back in the menu, if you hit that same first button, the file won't show up, and only will on the next time around... Think that comes from the nike4.swf itself, where I think at some point, I recall, you have an unloadMovie action somewhere, which might be causing this... Or it's something else and it should be looked into...

Sorry for these critics, but the rest seems to be working fine!

BTW, where's my credit?

Thats strange man, cos when i click on a folio piece and then close it i can open it back up without a problem...is it still there if u check it now?...yeah i know what u mean about the preloader showing up when its not needed...the thing is i wanted to have just some subtle graphics aound the bar, like the two lines to hint at how long the bar is supposed to get..could i apply the same script to the bar graphics that u have for the bar so it only shows when needed?
    i love the critisicm man...it can only improve the site..thanks for everything though...
    Last edited by akimakim; 10-20-2004 at 02:29 AM.

Banned
    Yep! Still happening but only on that nike4.swf, in fact, I don't even see the folio bit... I know it's there, because I can still click it, but I don't see it, and the nike4.swf only comes back every second click... Then I see the folio bit again... There's something differently done when closing that .swf!

I'm not againts the hint bars, all I'm saying is that as the bar itself or percentage, they shouldn't re-appear if the file is already cached... And they do!

Which textfield pixel font are you talking about?

actually i figured that the bold button was clicked for some reason..my bad...yeah i know what u mean about the percentage loader....i want to try and make the surrounding bar graphics appear the same way as the bar...workin on it at the moment...does the loader for the main site look like its working to you aswell?

Banned
    Didn't check that one! Hold on!

As for the hint bars, they should be in a movie clip, set to be invisible to start with, within the clip itself, and then only made visible when the bar is made visible in my script. You should also re-make them invisible on 2 other occasions where I re-make the bar invisible...