A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash to Website workflow

Flash to Website workflow

Hello there,

I had a general question regarding the workflow from a flash document to a website.

First off, if I am building my website in flash, then my whole website will be contained in one Flash Document with all the buttons and context (text) pictures) laid out in the stage and along the timeline...right? Is it generally better to have some things, like background color not in the flash document, for some reason? Maybe it makes it easier to have a plain background when yr working in flash, instead of a giant fill over the whole stage? Are there some things that I should do in Dreamweaver?

Maybe to help you guys out, here is what I will be including in the site...text, and advanced buttons, with pictures...as in a portfolio type thing.

The stage is kinda small, do I need to set my predefined pixel size to mach my website?

Then, all I have to do is publish my site? What is the general process for getting my flash document to the website?

Thanks to all for your answers.

Nick

To save the user some download time its good to make each section of the Flash site to its own swf file, that is only loaded when needed ( as Flash can load swf files or jpg's at runtime ).

For instance a image gallery would contain only the thumbnail images, and the larger ones are loaded only when the user wants to ( the thumbnail images could be loaded too, if they are many ). Example: This gallery is just a framework. It contains no images . The images are all loaded into movieclips in the swf file. All text ( in the info panel ) is also loaded into the swf ( from a textfile ).www.maxschultz.com/pp

This is a great thing in Flash, that you can make it as dynamic as you want or need to.

for getting my flash document to the website?
    Do you have a website already? Are you wondering about the upload process?

You will need a ftp program to upload the content of the site to the server.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

I basically break my site up into .swf files and convert them to HTML...and have the actions, like buttons, get different pages?

Using your example site, one swf file converted to html is the primary page that loads, and the larger pictures are other html pages? But how do you still get the motion tweens that are going on btween the thumbnail and the larger image?

I guess Im really confused as to how the flash content works out to be HTML content on a website and how everything is broken up or grouped in their respective formats. Could you recommend any good books for creating websites with Flash?

Also...how does the new slide feature tie into Flash. It looks like Flash powerpoint, am I correct?

Im sorry, I missed you explaining the images loading into the movieclip. I understand that part, a little.

Nothing is converted to html.

Flash and html are two different things.

All images are just jpg files ( no html involved ).

There is only one html document. It contains only the embed code for the Flash file ( image_gallery.swf)

I dont know of any slide feature. There are gallery template files that come with Flash , thats all I know. Things that slide in Flash are generally scripted or just motion tweened.

Maybe you should check out some of the Getting Sterted Tutorials here. They cover a broad range of useful topics.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com