A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: font outlines/cross platform issues?

Question

how confident can i be that if i include font outlines in my file that text will look the same in other platforms (i.e. windows)?

specifically, i have one text box on top of a calendar of squares (the days) and i've spaced the numbers of the days using blank spaces. would it be better to have separate text boxes with each day to be sure that they'll appear in the correct place?

how much file size do font outlines typically take up anyway, is there any rough indication?

thanks in advance!

if i understand the documentation correctly, only text *fields* will use outline fonts, not text boxes and i have understood that fields are editable by end users. is this correct? or will all text in the movie display using outline fonts? at the moment i'm going back through a rather large movie and converting all my boxes to fields, then removing the border and making sure outline font is checked...

thanks,

ajax

Lightbulb

ok..

Boxes will ALWAYS include the font outlines. So text in text boxes will always appear in the correct font.

Fields can be set to include outlines, or not. They can also be set to be editable, or not.

So.. I recommend using boxes, unless you want to be able to edit the text while the movie is playing (either by the user, or through action scripts).

------------------
    Scott Richards
    http://www.rjscs.com/scotty
    scotty@rjscs.com

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

the movie scales dynamicaly you dont need to worry about them moving out of position. If you use a 12pt font and have a sreen res of 640x480 and someone with a sreen res of 800x600 looks at the movie it will appear the same.

As far as the font outlines go the file size can vary from a few k to several k. Best to look at the font in your font directory and see its file size. I would not worry about it unless you are using more than three fonts in the document and if you are using more than three fonts you have some serious design issues to look at. yuk Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

The beauty of Flash is that (so long as you include font outlines) your site will look the same on ALL platforms!!

If only HTML worked so well...

So all your days should appear exactly where you see them. Although, personally, I would create a seperate text box for each day.. just so I would not have to use spaces to line them up.. but you can make it work either way.