A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Halo 2 user review ... small spoilers included, so read at your own risk

Halo 2 user review ... small spoilers included, so read at your own risk

It's from some guy that downloaded the leaked version and played through it (and if you wonder, yes, he can speak french).

Note: The original thread got deleted, so you have to be happy with the quotes below.

Some quotes from the review:

Those that are expecting something revolutionary though, should probably lower their expectations. They should also consider why they expected a revolution. Bungie has delivered nearly everything they promised, and they weren't really pormising a revolution in the first place. It's a sequel, and it's a lot like the original....but decidedly better. There are a ton of amazing "setpiece" moments of spectacle that will have you saying "Holy ****!" The levels are far more varied than in the original, and as you probably already know the look of the stages is far more varied.
    Was Bungie lazy again? Do the levels repeat? Well, while you never really have to play through the same stage twice, a couple of sections do have some annoying repeating architecture (mostly in Covenant ships and bases). I would say that there are only two stages where this happens and it is nowhere near as bad as something like The Library in Halo 1.
    I think a part of the problem with how Halo 2 has been marketed is that it's been made to look like it was totally an Earth-war. So the major disappointment is that after only a handful of urban "Earth" stages, you go back to another Halo, and back to hunting your way through Covenant corridors. The new outdoor environments are really great looking, but I had wanted to see entire cities being razed!

Even more frustrating is that the ending is a huge cliffhanger, that occurs just before the action is about to shift back to Earth! And when the game is over, whether you like the end or not, I think you will be saying "What the ****?" to yourself. When Halo 2 concludes, it doesn't even "feel" like you are near the conclusion. I was ready for the next stage to start and all of a sudden the credits are rolling! It is very reminiscent of The Matrix, which also ended just as soon as you thought that the badass action was really going to start. It's also like Matrix Reloaded, in that a major plot twist is revealed just before the big cliffhanger.

If anything is going to infuriate Halo fans, I believe it will be the progression and the ending. I expect that when we hit November 11-12, there are going to be some very heated debates on message boards.
    Guess the multiplayer will be the most played part anyway.

Fredi
    Last edited by Subway; 10-19-2004 at 07:40 AM.
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

Anything. Anytime. Anywhere. aliensynergy's Avatar
    A side note on the Halo 2 soundtrack, my favorite guitarist of all time, Steve Vai plays on the song "Halo Theme (Mjolnir Mix)."

Link: http://www.vai.com/News/index.html
    synergy:theory
    it'll be finished someday.

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    This, Microsoft points out, makes Halo 2 set to bring in more sales in a 24-hour launch period than any single Hollywood blockbuster, ever.
    So it would seem that getting all up in arms and saying the leak would kill thier sales and put them in the poor house was really unfounded.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/558/558...html?fromint=1