A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Creating an animated series for TV

Creating an animated series for TV

I know how to animate, and do put an effort into my work. My question is how does one put together an animated series together for TV?

Heres the problems I'm basically facing:

*Basically creating a cartoon that can go for 20 minutes. The problem with Flash is that if you make big files, its really hard to organize everything and when you test the movie, the movie slugs along just to export itself.

So how do I create a 20 minute pilot for a network while cutting down on the size of the file and keeping everything more organized?

Im sure someone here has put together something for a network before.

Thanks if anyone wants to help.

Re: Creating an animated series for TV

Originally posted by Yoshichef
    I know how to animate, and do put an effort into my work. My question is how does one put together an animated series together for TV?

Heres the problems I'm basically facing:

*Basically creating a cartoon that can go for 20 minutes. The problem with Flash is that if you make big files, its really hard to organize everything and when you test the movie, the movie slugs along just to export itself.

So how do I create a 20 minute pilot for a network while cutting down on the size of the file and keeping everything more organized?

Im sure someone here has put together something for a network before.

Thanks if anyone wants to help.

well i dont know much about animation but you could split the fla in four smaller flas of 5 minute animation each wich also make 4 separate swfs
    then make swf1 load all the other swfs in a sequential order

hope it helps

The problem is ...

The problem about putting 4 seperate fla and play all swf together with actionscript is that when you convert your work to avi in order to edit the video for portability into dvd or other tv media the action scripts are not recognized .It would be a big mess and using movie clip won`t help either . is what you should know about flash for tv .

1) you should work in a animation timeline of 29.9 or 30 fps for NTSC / 24 fps for PAL (not really sure but about it)
    2) Have a lot of ram memories on your pc at least 512mb
    3) Cut your movie into scene .
    4) avoid the use of action script
    5) use the wav format for audio instead of mp3
    6) export the movie to swf then use a 3rd party software to convert it into avi (magic swf2avi is very good ) actually i think it is the only one to let movie clip operate in the video .

i hope it helps ,

best regards,
    pipo

PAL is 25 fps. Also note that the size is different on PAL vs NTSC.

The first result on Google ( flash fo TV ) is.....

http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...ert/flashontv/

It may be helpful.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    Flash to DVD guide.

http://www.verbalstreet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18

That may help. What you might want to do is work out a pilot episode, and figure out where the commercials would fit and break it up into segments. When you finish, use the guide above to turn it into one dvd. Its also the most persentable media to broadcast stations. That or vcr tapes I guess.

you could do it in 4 differnt files, conver them to avi and the put them together with any video editing program like final cut

I had to use SWF 2 AVI to render something with color fades recently. Flash's "export avi" function was making the colors do weird things, but S2A worked fine. Plus it's not in real time, so it should be perfect for what you're doing.

And yeah, just chop it up into the sections that would normally go between commercials, if file size is an issue. Even movies have to divide themselves up on different reels when they're in the theater!

Good times!