A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: logo design pricing

logo design pricing

I'm looking for typical pricing for a logo design. I know there are those sites that say starting at $50! Call now!

I'm looking for reputable graphic designers and a sample pricing list. So if any of you can offer any personal insight I would be glad to hear it.

Right now with so many out of work. I would say anything goes. But I personally don't go any lower than $50.00, unless it's a nonprofit.
    Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste". Computer graphics, animation, logos, mascots (Vector work a specialty.).

It really depends. Are you making a shiny graphic or are you building a solid identity.

Shiny graphics come from 20.00$ each, a solid identity can go up to +100's or 1.000's

Well that is exactly what I'm looking to find out. Thanks. I have heard some of the cheapest companies charging $4,000 for a full identity. But yes, just simple graphics would be may be as low as $20.

It's definitely a tricky subject.. if you're the graphic designer and need help with pricing, you're going to want to take into serious consideration how much experience you have. If you never went to school, and never did a logo before... you really can't ask for what professionals ask. If you just graduated, and perhaps this is for a side job, you might be a """professional""" but if you're lacking a lot of experience, a lot of time will be used during the job for you to actually do some learning. (which of course you can't charge for.)

For logo work I charge by the hour. A flat rate is just asking to get screwed over, they'll have you revising that thing for the rest of your life.

First think about your own self worth, based on your skill and experience.

Second of all, jot down (in detail) what the process is for building the type of logo you're going to build and come up with a time estimate. Multiply, and you have your estimate. You might consider charging half of the estimate before getting started if you're worried about the client at all.

Hope this helped! Ok, back to work!

-Zackski

Re: logo design pricing

Originally posted by sirhoff
    I'm looking for typical pricing for a logo design.
    logos involve a lot of work, and they're not as easy at looks to make. personally i wouldnt charge any less than $100 for the most basic logo. i'd probably go higher though. how much time do you plan on spending while working on it?

Hi Folks,
    I have a logo idea and want to get a price to get it done, it pretty basic (Aren't they all!!!), email or pm me and I will give you some more details.

May lead to more work in the near future

Thanks,
    Gary
    Last edited by 6SIC6; 10-26-2004 at 04:21 AM.
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand binary and those who do not.

When doing a logo for someone, unless you're NOT giving them all formats of the logo, and the logo has already been DESIGNED, I would IN NO WAY EVER charge $100 or less. You're just screwing yourself over. (Now if you're just vectorizing a logo that's already been done, or just coming up with a webgraphic I can sort of understand)

You have to put a value to yourself. If you think your worth about $30** an hour, then let them know you're worth $40 an hour but you'll give them a break.

-VITAL-

Write up an estimate. Time for brainstorming/research_______
    Time for thumbnails__________
    Time for roughs_______
    Prototype 1________________
    Prototype 2 (if necessary) ________
    Corrections/Formatting ________

Add that up. Give them the estimate. Don't be nervous, or if you are, hide it while talking to them.

I only have a couple years of logo freelance work under my belt, but I've learned this in school by asking teachers. Be confident and try to be as honest as possible, and you'll be fine.

Good Luck,

Zack

** This number was based on my guessing that you haven't gone to school for graphic design, but sort of know what you're doing, OR are going to school for graphic design but have only done anywhere from none to two or three side jobs so far.

This lesson will cost you $50 thanks

Well, for example, I did this logo as a favor to my brother who is director or marketing for the equine division of Butler Pharmaceuticals. All I had to go on was that he wanted it to be horse related and that it needed to incorporate their company logo. I did a number of very different styles and he went for this one. It took me just over 2 weeks of work in the evenings.

I think for a company of their size and importance and for a brand that receives an enourmous amount of international exposure it could carry quite a hefty price-tag.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm with zack on this. Your time is worth money so charge them for it. If you had a job as a plumber and all you had to do was fix a sink, you could say "$100", but if it turns out you need new parts, and there is a clog down the pipes, you would charge for the time you spent on it. Likewise with design. If you spent 2 weeks on this, charge them for it.
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

my lowest rate (which is a "friend rate") is $150.

If you're new to freelance design of any kind, I suggest "The Graphic Arts Guild Guide to Pricing and Ethical Guidelines," $34.95 at Barnes and Noble. The book is free if you join the Guild at a membership fee, more info about that is on thier site. http://www.gag.org/

I found the book extremely helpful with pricing and it even has samples of quote and invoice forms that deal with signing or not signing over rights.

Good Luck!
    ellin

who's the crazy guy who thought $20 was acceptable? no wonder so many designers are living hand to mouth. logos take a heap of time and i would tally your bill accordingly. however, i think most of us bill less hours than it actually takes. the job i just finish, all told, with image searches, mixing/matching, various layouts etc., i probably spent 10 hours, but i think most clients think there is some magical "design" button that we click and would be horrified by 10 hours times $50 an hour, so i billed them for 6 hours. this way, i'm making more per hour than mcdonalds and the client is happy enough to hire me for future work.