A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash Style ?

Flash Style ?

I want to know if there is a tutorial (step by step) how to have a flash site where the site stays the same just the center body changes when you select a new page and not the whole site. I think it is a movie layer but not sure how to do it and need so help so if there is a tutorial shoot the link please.

This is an example: http://chanel.com/fashion/en-us/

click on point of sale, registration and see what I am asking.

Thanks

Its done by loading external swf files into your main movie. This saves the user a big initial load. All sections are loaded only when needed.

There are two ways of loading external files into Flash. Either you can load swf files into _levels or into movieclip targets.

_levels only exist in the Flash player. They are like layers but for swf files The Flash player is like a overhead projector where the plastic films you put on top of each other are like the swf files in the player. There are 16000 available levels

//To load a external swf into a _level from a button. The number 1 being the level to load into.

on(release){
    loadMovieNum("myExternalFile.swf",1);
    }

Movieclip targets are what it sounds like. A empty movieclip placed on the stage just for the purpose of loading a swf file into it. The advantage is that you can place it anywhere, manually ( as opposed to swf's in _levels) and also can control what of the objects should be on top or beneath.

Usually you give the movieclip an instance name of container. ( you give a instance name by selecting the empty movieclip on stage and write the name in the Property Panel )

//To load a external swf into a target movieclip from a button ( both being on the main timeline ).

on(release){
    container.loadMovie("myExternalFile.swf");
    }

The external movie's top left corner will place it self where the empty movieclip is.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

Ok cool Thanks. So if say I have website all in flash now and it takes about 3 mins on dial up and I want to speed it up I could do a load external with it? The file size of the main swf in this is 890kb once it loads up it is fine and fast but the load time suck at first. The site is all done so I would just change the action of the buttons to a on(release){loadMovieNum("myExternalFile.swf",1);
    } command and then it would be faster? In the current site it loads the main background then page1 and the text page_01 so a lot to load in main page.

It will be faster ( initially ) if your main movie is smaller and you load the rest on only when needed. ( the total load time for all sections will always be the same though ).

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com