dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Bourne Supremacy.. How did they do this

Bourne Supremacy.. How did they do this

http://www.thebournesupremacy.com/

How did they design their interface like that. Is it a bunch of 3d STudio max clips or are just the objects modelled in some sort of 3D Software and Flash is taking care of the rest.. or is this Director??? Help!

I'm assuming that you're talking about the interactive walkthrough. It looks like they combined traditional video and 3d animation, and then used Flash as a control mechanism to add interactivity. They did a good job integrating the different mediums into a single site.

Wow I'm quite impress
    First time I can see this kind of interactivity.
    Waiting for an explanation..0

Yeah i don't know how they did it, I'm also waiting for an explanation. Did they use Swift 3d For the objects? and somehow animate the camera movment??

Originally posted by rsjagtia
    Yeah i don't know how they did it, I'm also waiting for an explanation. Did they use Swift 3d For the objects? and somehow animate the camera movment??
    its all frame by frame and mouseovers.
    .soul

I'm not talkin about the camera rotation.. its the whole Zooming in and out between the menu's and the objects... fantastic work!

Holy snikeys! that is some wacked out stuff. Whicked cool!

that's Max...

FK's official coffee addict gasbag15's Avatar
    It looks like a whole bunch of max clips as mentioned earlier, wouldn't be hard if you knew how to make a nice scene in max and do afew camera path clips.

yes its quite cool. After seeing Moock's video of the Maelstrom demo, I think the future for sites like this (high budget hollywood type) will be insane... I really have no idea how it works, but it looks like with the Realtime video alpha channel you will be able to create insanely interactive and high quality sites... imagine if on this site they had video of Matt Damon interacting with a video environment that surronds him and interacting with the user... that would be sick and I think is not too far around the corner.

Looks pretty average to me, am I missing something or has the site changed? The interface and transitions are all very basic and dont use 3d at all?!

You have to wait untill the 'interactive trailer' has loaded.

Pretty nifty.

Yeah, its the interface that gets to me. I wanted to incorporate something like this for a project of mine, however, i just didnt know how this worked. I do know 3D Studio max, but incorporating the two is something else. I dont even want the camera rotatin at the edges of the scree... I just want this whole Zooming in and Out effect.. sure you can add the Motion Blur later on, but still pretty impressive!

Its not that hard to do if you are working with a few others, this site would take a long time to construct by one person. All the interactive scenes are constructed in 3d and then rendered and edited in after effects or combustion. I made my site doing the same thing using studio max. The hard part is making the scenes look photo realistic, takes lots of time and experience. My site doesn't have that much interaction, but you can see the fly through with the camera in max, For instance, i have a train going around a virtual city, when you click on one of the links, the camera zooms inside if the train where you then have a screen, there are endless things you can do, Given the time, i could have made more interaction with the 3d elements, i just didnt have the time...

www.ewanimation.com

Yeah! damn, this is pretty neat too. I like your City scene and the Train! I just wouldn't know where to start modelling that from scratch. I would probably use a bunch of ready made models.. throw em in a scene.. make some water.. put a sun system and boom... but see How did you use After Effects ... Combustion. If you can forward me to some tutorials or something like that, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for the comments, I had some other elements I really wanted to implement in my site. When you consider how much time and work goes into something like this especially when you are not making any money, its easy to stop adding elements (unless I was retired and just having fun) because you will go broke.

I would suggest using combustion, it has a awesome particle system (the electric energy in my logo was created in combustion)and can be integrated with studio max because both are built by discreet. They have some really helpful tutorials on the discreet.com website. I usually just experiment, but if I really need to figure out what to do, I always go to http://www.creativecow.net/forum/vie...php?forumid=14 and ask the question and it always gets answered. I must warn you that a site like Bourne Supremacy would be allmost impossible to do alone because you would prob go broke before you finished. I allmost went broke working on my site.

Sites like this one are much like building a game, you have people working on the different elements at the same time...

a.3d Modeling, texturing, animation
    b.2d animation, design
    c.Video effects and editing
    d.flash and programming

Perhaps a single person could do this site, but I bet any studio in Hollywood that had a blockbuster of this caliber would not take a chance. You are seeing the tip of the iceberg with sites like this one and all I can tell you is if you plan on doing sites like this one, join a team after you become a master of one or the two elements I mentioned above.

Site reminds me more of the game Myst IV
    What's that? You haven't seen my site yet?? Here you go - Click Me!

Thanks so much for the tips. Yes i know what you mean. However, I don't plan on making a full fledged site, its a portfolio. Most of my 3d Scenes will use pre-built factories or models so setting up the 3d aspect wont be too bad. Say the room scene shouldn't be that bad as a desk, bed and chair are models that are available for free.. you can whip that up in a couple of nights with the lights and everything. The problem is when you try and animate the camera zooming in and out and making sure it aligns up right and then bringin the interactivity via flash.

Does bourne supremeacy use say a 3d scene (static jpg) as the background and it has different "blank" buttons on the scene in respective locations, then when the user clicks.. it playes an avi or swf in the background (3ds clip) and then on the last frame it just stops ... all this is done over _root so the previous layer is hidden? Does this make logical sense as to what seems to be happening. The only tought part then would be the camera animations. Obviously the transitions are done to ensure that the first and last frames always match up the the start and finish respectively... Just wondering is this makes sense...?

Yes, the 3d background is a static jpg. They are using video sequences each time you click on a different blank button. Making the camera zoom in the scene is the easy part, you just animate your camera in max to zoom from a to b. Once you are satisfied with the camera movement, you would render in the png format, then import the png sequence into combustion where you can edit the sequence and add special effects. Then you would render from combustion to the QuickTime format where you would then import into flash. Once you import into flash you would need to optimize the video so that the file size is not to big etc.

IF you have any other questions, let me know. Sounds like you allready know how to use max pretty well so you have a upper hand.

Hey,

yeah thanks alot for that break down. SO your saying I just do a basic key frame animation on the zoom of a camera... Open it up in Combustion.. apply some motion blur and maybe change the way it zooms in and out (Momentum or the tangents) so it looks smooth and then export? haha wow I should give something like this a definite try. I've never used Combustion before but I'm sure its not all that bad...