A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cant figure this out

cant figure this out

Hey all,

im experiencing a weird problem when loading an external movie. The swf has scrolling text in it, and when i test the movie everything works great, but when it loads in the main movie just the scrollbar displays but the text is a no show. Any suggestions?

I think you have to embed your fonts otherwise they won't display if the text field is dynamic.

LexyCon.

all fonts are embedded though, like i said, when i test just the single swf, it works fine, but when i test the movie it is going to be loaded in, it just shows the scrollbar

Sounds strange. Can you post the .fla?

LexyCon.

Banned
    This still on "our" scroller bit? Have you switched to LoadVars()?

HEEEEY ON!! yes, using your original scroller now actually! Loading a simple text file and it works fine, but when i load it into the main movie the text doesnt show?? confusing me! Not sure if maybe it has something to do with the LoadVars I have on a previous frame maybe?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Banned
    You didn't include your text files my friend?

Vox98,
    You do have a reference to the name of the actual text-field on the first line of your text file, don't you?
    e.g. textField= , , ,

LexyCon.

sure do lexycon.

Here you go, text files, sorry bout that.

Vox98,
    I notice in the first .fla that I open that your text field, bioText, has its name in the wrong place - the box to give it a variable name is empty. Is that not your problem?

LexyCon.

no i dont think so. i dont have a problem with that text loading, it loads fine. i believe in MX you dont need a variable name for loading text, im not an expert but an instance name works.

Banned
    No variable in this case! Text is displayed though the textfield's instance name... Working on it, this is going to take a while...

It's a pathing problem and may be further complicated if you're using the exact same script on both scrolling textfields... Haven't checked that yet! Still working on the Tank You one for now...

Originally posted by Vox98
    sure do lexycon.
    The first lines of your text files do not correspond to the names of the text field variables. If they are not the same the text won't display. As far as I know, the dynamic text field 'bioText' looks for a text file with 'bioText=' on the first line. If it finds it then it can display the text . . .
    At least that's always worked for me.
    Your first lines are:
    bio=
    shoutouts=
    thanx=

LexyCon.

Banned
    I repeat, no variables are needed in this case, because the text is displayed through the instance name of the textfields, and not through a variable in the VAR boxes of the textfields...

I should know, I was the one that put this thing together, and it works fine on it's own. The problem here is only some incorrect pathing when loading these scrollers in a container clip of another main movie, because this wasn't originally designed to be loaded in container clips... I'm adapting the code now!

Banned
    Ok! Start by removing all _level0's in all scrollers' scripts...

As...
    code:
    loadVarsText = new LoadVars();
    loadVarsText.load("thankyouText.txt");
    loadVarsText.onLoad = function(success) {
    if (success) {
    trace ("done loading");
    main.thanxText.htmlText = this.thanx;
    main.thanxText.autoSize = "left";
    trace("TEXTFIELD HEIGHT: "+main.thanxText._height);
    trace("CLIP HEIGHT: "+main._height);
    offset = main._height - main.thanxText._height;
    trace("OFFSET: "+offset);
    bottom = (main._y+mask_mc._height-main._height-space)+offset;
    } else {
    trace ("not loaded");
    }
    };

Next if you're using but 2 scrollers, then change all the references to one of the two's scrollEase function's name...

Thus in the "ty_scroll.fla", for example, change all references to scrollEase(); to scrollEase1();...

Works fine for me!

Hey ON, thank you again. Started doing the scrollEase change cause I remembered that from the first time I was having problems loading multiple scrolls. Didnt figure the _level10 change.

One question about this, just cause it be good to know, I am learning from you, you know!! lol.... But for that change from ScrollEase(); to ScrollEase1();......why would you need that change if both scrolls are in seperate MC's?

Banned
    Most likely because the scrollEase function is a movie clip prototype function, and that the last one loaded is the one that'll be used...

Assuming you hadn't changed it to scrollEase1 on one of them, but had removed the _level0 bits, you would have noticed, that the last loaded external .swf would of worked, but not the previous one.
    Or even (as I recall when you first had this problem...) that both draggers would control the same main (the last loaded one...) mc.

Banned
    This new corrected .fla seems to work for me when I load up the movie in another main movie, although I didn't have a problem with the text appearing or not, but just with the changing of the text files and the scroller's & dragger's positions.
    Last edited by oldnewbie; 12-02-2004 at 01:09 PM.

here you go.

Banned
    Is this main.swf going to be loaded in yet another main movie?