A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: WebFeatsDesign.com - He does it again

endless possibilities MadDog 555's Avatar
    ya i absolutely agree with J-Luv. i think this is a great website and i can see mr.freak put a lot of hard work and effort into it. i think its really immature to ask why he used we instead of I. im not saying webfeats is a one man company and it might as well be, but i use we in my website and right now i am the company. plus i think it sounds professional to say we instead of i. imagine, 'I' guarantee that u will be satisfied with 'my' work. sounds a little stupid huh. now replace i and me with we and our. sounds better. so dont pick and poke at the little things in his website that dont really matter. tell him what you like about his website. flashkit is not a place where you make people feel stupid about little things.

austin

endless possibilities

I had a question regarding your comment about the transparent gradients. Do you mean transparent files like .png files?

Also how much of your sites, do you make using the Flash Design Tools? Do you use other designing softwares? if so how much of it?

I am a newb in the web design world, and I tend to use more photoshopped images and transparent PNG files. Do most designers implement both photoshopped images and flash vector images?

This question is open to anyone with experience and knowledge, please let me know. thank you.

in my website (http://www.koathletics.com/infinitysquared2.html ) i only used the tools provided by flash. i made the whole lens flare in flash using gradients but im not sure that was the best thing to do as far as speed goes. having alot of transparent gradients makes the movie go pretty slow because it takes up so much memory. i dont know if pngs would of been better but it is worth a try. i have seen flash sites that use photoshop and they look far better than mine. it depends on how you want your site to look. photoshop gives a flash site a better look if you know what your doing. one example of that is http://www.widegroup.net . i can see they have used alot of photoshop. but to many bitmaps in a flash movie can cause a memory issue. that is my biggest challange. anyway hope that helped.

austin

endless possibilities

wow!!

very cool!! i love the update!! (didn't care much for the minimalist version tho) what FPS is that site running on??

what was the update???

endless possibilities

i still dont get it

nothing is more boring than words flying around when the words aren't saying anything. watching the words "intense" and "intriguing" fly around isn't either intense or intriguing

i'm lost to why this is here, nice skilled work and all but "cool"?

not to mention design issues, i had to beg for an intro? i mean i had to ask and ask and ask for that empty commercial, and then after all that i finally get to a website, click on the very first most important thing in that site and the stupid music that's been annoying me doesn't stop for the portfolio piece to open (not to mention the link is dead)

anyways.......

-----------------
    I think the animations are pretty slick, and credits for all the effort he puts in the site.

The graphics ,typography,layout looks VERY cheap though, photoshop filters are overused(!)

Life moves at 63 fps. mr. freak's Avatar
    Alright, guys. I'm done defending myself. This thread has gone on forever, and it's always the same comments over and over. I'm flattered that my website inspires abortion-level controversy, with both people who use very strong negatives and very strong positives to describe it. The bottom line is this: it's not a site for everyone. I know that. I knew that the first day I sat down to design it. It's an issue of differing goals. When I sat down to make WebFeats v5, my goal was mainly to best v4 on the animation front. In the process, I also tried my best to put more work into the graphic portion. I put no thought into the content, because the content is completely irrelevant.

It's like a beer commercial: fat guy dances, babies fall from sky, deer drives tractor, zucchinis attack...buy Budweiser! I mean, what do you want me to put in as content? I have no legacy to speak of (I'm freakin' 18), most of my portfolio is under construction, there's no one else that works here (the entire business consists of...my bedroom), and I don't feel like writing more than a few sentences of philosophy, because I know that anyone that hires me will hire me based on the spunk and vivacity of my website, not based on a paragraph about how great I am. It's the old English class adage: "Show, don't tell." I "show" what I enjoy to do (key word: enjoy) via the animations and music on the site. Some people understand that the purpose of the website is to showcase animation (god, I feel like an old record here). Others don't. Still others do understand that the animation is the point but think that the animation is stupid and/or boring. I will not get these people's business. Luckily, I don't really want it. Where's the fun in conservatism?

Regarding the business in general, I could not be happier. This website has accomplished all I wanted it to accomplish; mainly, winning the last few design awards and pushing more business. I'm still in high school, remember, and these days I frequently bring in over one hundred dollars per hour. I'm making more money than I could possibly spend, and making it doing something I love to do. Best of all, it's a business that will come right with me to college, that I can continue to run on the side for the rest of my foreseeable future with no overhead whatsoever. I also think it played a large role in my successful admission to every college I applied to (I won't list them because it wouldn't be tasteful).

As I've said many a time before, constructive criticism is great. Yes, I was Photoshop filter happy; that's a somewhat constructive comment. I had just discovered some new stuff, and probably did go overboard. Compared to any professionals on here, I'm a complete newbie. On the other hand, nonconstructive criticism is rude and simply hurts the integrity of this thread while doing nothing to change my own attitudes, because it makes he who said it sound very childish, especially when the grammar/punctuation/capitalization happens to also be lacking (example: "not to mention design issues, i had to beg for an intro? i mean i had to ask and ask and ask for that empty commercial, and then after all that i finally get to a website, click on the very first most important thing in that site and the stupid music that's been annoying me doesn't stop for the portfolio piece to open" - that is completely nonconstructive).

Anyway, guys, please just let the thread die. Nothing new is being said, and people who didn't see the thread months ago are just getting confused. Wait another six months and you'll have a v6 to rip apart to your heart's content.

Thank you, and good night!

(just to point out, by the way, this post isn't a specific response to anything nor anyone. I know that probably a majority of the commentary has been useful. I just want to murder this thread with all my might ).
    Last edited by mr. freak; 04-17-2005 at 01:09 AM.
    Be Happy.
    WebFeats v5 { webfeatsdesign.com } \\\ ITA Judge { internettinyawards.com } \\\ My band! { modusoperandiband.com }

Yeah i agree with mr.freak.

No site can be absolutely perfect. you can critise him as being a filter overuser. you can critise the the transitions are too cpu intensive and the maroon is ugly when it comes to 2A. you can say that it is too grudgy and the text is hard to read for 247. you can say that the loading time is too much for the vodafone(FWA SOTY) site. Every site can be critised. Everything can have its minorities. so pls

DON'T CRISTISE PEOPLE JUST FOR THE SAKE OF CRITISM!!!!

Regards,
    Rudolf

Coming Sooooon!!!
    I hate spam in the [ Cool Sites ] Section.

WHAT FPS IS THE SITE RUNNING ON?? PLEASE REPLY!!

62 and 63

Coming Sooooon!!!

ya i agree as well. this thread should die! im 16. my business also consists of my bedroom. it doesnt really matter where you work it just matters that it gets done.

austin

endless possibilities

it's actually a gesture on my part to take the time to post, i know there are lots of people that love to hear themselves bash but im not one of them but if you need to believe that as an excuse enjoy

just because he's too young or too insecure to understand that criticism always hurts but you have to use it to your advantage doesn't mean that i'm wrong to criticize

i cant sit here trying to figure out if the site author is on this board and if he's emotionally wrapped up in his work or if he's business about it

i'm not really sure what the author is even doing on this thread, it isnt a site check?

Yeah let's get a admin to lock this one.

Cheers,
    Rudolf

P.S. i am14 and my workshop is my living room.

Coming Sooooon!!!

whoas tats fast, i'm almost going back in time!
    catch the blast of a hype verse

Banned for Spamming
    nice. If ya want free domain name check this out.

<<<0.o-HERE-o.0>>>