A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: WebFeatsDesign.com - He does it again

Life moves at 63 fps. mr. freak's Avatar
    Originally posted by ramblerob
    It really bugs me when I click to launch a portfolio item, and the music is still playing in addition to the music on the site I just launched...
    Gotcha -- will fix that when I get home from school.
    Be Happy.
    WebFeats v5 { webfeatsdesign.com } \\\ ITA Judge { internettinyawards.com } \\\ My band! { modusoperandiband.com }

i don't get this one, it's skilled flash work but i'm lost as to what's generating the great reactions.

everything jumps and bounces and blinks and music plays and it tells me websites need to be this and that and that and this, adjective after adjective, intriguing and in the word intriguing the little letters spin and im just not intrigued. intense? intelligent? huh? i felt spammed visually and verbally.

i click on something and stuff starts movin and flashing and spinning and i'm just sitting there wondering why and waiting for the content to load.

reminds me of this old design rule about blinking html text - the first overused and abused visual on the internet - "just because it can blink doesn't mean it should."

Originally posted by moot
    i click on something and stuff starts movin and flashing and spinning and i'm just sitting there wondering why and waiting for the content to load.
    And therein lies the problem
    'Tis not the destination, but the journey that matters.
    In other words, the site's purpose is to show off animation, not to get the user to some silly little blurb about "we make Flash sites!"
    Anyone can write that, but not everyone animates equally.

The site's about having fun; the tone is as casual as tones get. I'm sorry you didn't have any fun (thankfully you're not the intended audience ).

BTW, to all -- thanks for the constructive feedback and compliments. It's all appreciated!

Oh, and I'm working on a minimal counterpart to v5 (either "v5.1" or "v5b"). Stay tuned!
    Be Happy.
    WebFeats v5 { webfeatsdesign.com } \\\ ITA Judge { internettinyawards.com } \\\ My band! { modusoperandiband.com }

Man that was a fast intro

I would almost prefer to see the site without the bitmaps. The sorta grunge texture doesn't really compliment the very fast 'tech-ish' animation. The intro which was more graphic I thought worked better with the style of animation, and it had more of a light and fun tone, which you've said was the goal. And it was the intro which really showcased the animation the best imho.

It also might help to alleviate the sorta visual overload that happens, otherwise it's bordering on Japanese-seizure-robot-flashing territory.

Thanks stevietat - that was useful!
    I've updated all the BG's, softening them all and removing most of the grunge texture. Look better?
    Still some references to "grungy arrows" here and there... will fix 'em later, need to sleeeeep!
    Last edited by mr. freak; 11-04-2004 at 02:19 AM.
    Be Happy.

I think you should up the FPS. It dragged in a few spots....

...NOT!

Very nice. A solid improvement, and more of the ultra-fast, sweeping animation that I am used to from your stuff mr. freak!

RH
    I guess life really does move at 60 fps
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

tight flash work, but the graphics on the splash/site... well lets just say they don't seem to be up to par with your flash skill. Also great music on the site, i love it.

thats some of the best animation i've seen in a long time. you rule
    www.Southshoregraphics.com
    Web Design > Flash > Logos > Vector
    Amazing Web Hosting

yea that music owns! i would agree with everyone else that the intro is unnecessarily long and tedious

also on the rollover that lil ball that comes in above the link seems somewhat unnecessary and thrown together, I would just take it out all together, there is so much going on in the rollovers anyway

great work! i love it
    Yarrg Matey!

Originally posted by frostbite
    on the rollover that lil ball that comes in above the link seems somewhat unnecessary and thrown together, I would just take it out all together, there is so much going on in the rollovers anyway
    Yeah, I considered that myself... might do it.
    Be Happy.

Hi,
    The music sinc is very impressive.
    Reminds me of the old flash 3 days when eye4u.com was a big thing. You would have been in your diapers mr. freak back then

The site's about having fun; the tone is as casual as tones get. I'm sorry you didn't have any fun

(thankfully you're not the intended audience ).
    I bloody hope your potetial clients arn't epileptic. On a more serious note who is this site going to appeal too?

A web savvy kid looking for flash's and bangs on the web? Probably.

Desingers who understand the trouble that youve gone too in order to make such detailed animation? Maybe.

Potential clients? Owners of companies? A board of executives?..... I would say no.

Frankly after the list of cliche adjectives i'm bored out of my mind. Getting some content is even worse; why should i have to watch a feature length movie before getting to read something?
    freshly squeezed media

Originally posted by mr. freak
    And therein lies the problem
    'Tis not the destination, but the journey that matters.
    In other words, the site's purpose is to show off animation, not to get the user to some silly little blurb about "we make Flash sites!"
    Anyone can write that, but not everyone animates equally.

The site's about having fun; the tone is as casual as tones get. I'm sorry you didn't have any fun (thankfully you're not the intended audience ).
    nope, you missed my point, i know it's animation, i see your animation after i see animation all the time on tv and on other websites so your bouncing letters around are boring, a bunch of movement and flashing and music and for what? it's like you've done a decent job of erecting a big ol las vegas neon sign with all the movement but the sign says "zzzzzzz"

actually i AM your intended audience, or wait, who are you trying to rope in with that intro? describe your "audience."

nice try trying to correct me. did you put your site up for review or for kiss ass attention? relax, it's criticism about your site, not you.

Websites are a form of art. Art is a representation of one's feelings and thoughts. It's feelings and thoughts that make a person. Therefore you ARE criticising him indirectly, along with the website.

You aren't his intended audience. Prospective clients are. The world doesn't revolve around you - there are many people (and I mean MANY) that like this sort of animation that is painstaking to create in a medium like Flash. I appreciate his work. I think its great. If you dont, thats not his problem - its yours, since the majority think its a nice site. Espescially since its not about delivering content, but showing his skills with animation. You dont need to flame him and then later pretend that you arent.

Very immature of you, really.

Zak.

Originally posted by moot
    ...did you put your site up for review or for kiss ass attention?
    Uh...I may or my not agree with you on your points, but he did NOT put his site up for criticism. Someone else posted it in Cool Sites because they thought it was...well...cool.

If you've seen any of his work prior to this, you'd see that this is his "style" like it or not. I am not defending it, but I am going to say that the work put into it is very impressive. The intro, while long and drawn out, does give you an opportunity to NOT view it. The transitions, while long and intricate, are obviously what he was going for.

If I am not mistaken, mr. freak is still in school, and hasn't been out in the real world too much to really grasp the marketing/business side of things in order to capture and captivate his target audience. That will come. For now, school is probably the number one priority in his life...not closing deals.

Incidentally, I would say that the honor of being resepcted in the community enough to be named a judge at ITA, a very well respected site design award, should, if nothing else, prevent you from throwing such ridiculous accusations at him.

Just my $0.02!

RH
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

(oops, double post)
    Be Happy.

Ok, guys -- minimal version is now online! Enjoy. Or not.
    Be Happy.

Originally posted by mr. freak
    Ok, guys -- minimal version is now online! Enjoy. Or not.
    definite improvement in that minimal verion. Not over the top, not a lot of waiting, and works well with the animation...Good on you, for taking criticism and using it productively

definate improvement.

I still hate the fact that it has to re-load the main menu every time you want to change page......but thats just me.
    freshly squeezed media