A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WebFeatsDesign.com - He does it again

dont know..maybee cuz Mr. Freak thinks its one of his bests (which I do)..in that case, why not list it ...it is part of you rportfolio in a sense..right?
    -Persistent1

Hey Webfeast

That is one hell of an animation, beautiful, and inspiring.

Guys, if you don't wanna see the intro he provided a "without intro" button. If you don't wanna see the intro then why did u say "with intro" in the first place.

That aside, I have one recomedation that is can get you into FWA.

- The regular website (whiz-bang or whatever) lacks attention. Greatly.
    - The simple one (are u bragging, you call that simple) lol . That my friend is true art. that should be the main site after that intro on the (whiz-bang). it's outstanding.

You do that my friend, and your good.
    Really the (whiz-bang) site (interface, navigation.), lacks attention. and it doesn't look good, regardless of the motion. if possible i think you should get rid of that. but again it's up to you.

Skill_Unabletospell_guy skill_guy101's Avatar
    haha if i put all that time and effort into making that version i would never get rid of it haha. even tho its not really as practical it does show off his skill. and the other one (and his portfolio) shows how he can apply that to making a firms website apealling and practical

Life moves at 63 fps. mr. freak's Avatar
    Originally posted by mobied
    - The simple one (are u bragging, you call that simple) lol . That my friend is true art. that should be the main site after that intro on the (whiz-bang). it's outstanding.

You do that my friend, and your good.
    Really the (whiz-bang) site (interface, navigation.), lacks attention. and it doesn't look good, regardless of the motion. if possible i think you should get rid of that. but again it's up to you.
    Nah, too many people like it to get rid of it
    But I do think I'll add a "watch intro" button somewhere on the minimalist site, for completeness. If FWA doesn't like it, so be it -- I don't need FWA to approve what I like to do, though obviously I wouldn't mind. Plus, it's my intent that if someone is turned off by the whiz-bang site, the other site should appeal to 'em, and from what I've gauged so far that seems to be true. Different people prefer different versions. I'm glad you like the "simple" site, which can be called that since it only took 3 days to do (that type of design is cake, and all those animations are tried-and-true formulas). But I respect your opinion! And trust me, you're not alone.

Persistent1 - You'd be surprised. The intro took only 4 sessions of a few hours each. In Flash MX/MX2004, you can set tweens, easing, alphas, and tints for multiple layers simultaneously, and then separate the inidividual pieces of the animation by whatever interval is appropriate. A lot of people miss this because they script everything... silly people.
    Last edited by mr. freak; 11-18-2004 at 09:14 AM.
    Be Happy.
    WebFeats v5 { webfeatsdesign.com } \\\ ITA Judge { internettinyawards.com } \\\ My band! { modusoperandiband.com }

Persistent1 - You'd be surprised. The intro took only 4 sessions of a few hours each. In Flash MX/MX2004, you can set tweens, easing, alphas, and tints for multiple layers simultaneously, and then separate the inidividual pieces of the animation by whatever interval is appropriate. A lot of people miss this because they script everything... silly people.
    Hahaha..yeah ..I didnt know that could be done, but thanks for the heads up Mr. Freak

I too animate and find my buddies who script everything..just take all the fun outa Flash and there projects potential to look and do amazing things

don't get me wrong, AS is there for a reason, but motion and great design is not one of them, in my oppinion its more for functionality and simply shrinking size when its refered to animation in Flash.
    -Persistent1

Skill_Unabletospell_guy skill_guy101's Avatar
    agreed if you can do it quicker without actionscript, wats the point?

Added a link to the intro in the minimalist site.
    Be Happy.
    WebFeats v5 { webfeatsdesign.com } \\\ ITA Judge { internettinyawards.com } \\\ My band! { modusoperandiband.com }

skill guy ; you got it

mr. Freak..thanks for that..thats an added bonus

till later guys
    -Persistent1

Originally posted by mr. freak
    Added a link to the intro in the minimalist site.
    Linkie doesnt work. All I get is a welcome back page {click anywhere}

On another note. The "only" thing I would change are the button rollovers. Since you have such long animations with them, when you just drag the mouse over the buttons real quick, they play their outro. Looks kinda wierd. May set it up where:

on (dragOver){
    gotoAndStop (1);
    }
    On (rollOver) {
    gotoAndPlay(whatever);
    }

Or something like that.

edit: hmmm, just tested that theory. No workie. Owell. Maybe set up somekind of var to check to see how long the mouse is over the button. If its over the button for say like 3000 miliseconds, gotoAndPlay (whatever)
    Last edited by RhameJ; 11-19-2004 at 01:45 PM.

endless possibilities MadDog 555's Avatar

Just wondering...

Hey just wondering, how big is your stage size for your site? if u dont want to give that info out thats ok.

thanx
    austin

endless possibilities

Originally posted by RhameJ
    Linkie doesnt work. All I get is a welcome back page {click anywhere}

On another note. The "only" thing I would change are the button rollovers. Since you have such long animations with them, when you just drag the mouse over the buttons real quick, they play their outro. Looks kinda wierd. May set it up where:

on (dragOver){
    gotoAndStop (1);
    }
    On (rollOver) {
    gotoAndPlay(whatever);
    }

Or something like that.

edit: hmmm, just tested that theory. No workie. Owell. Maybe set up somekind of var to check to see how long the mouse is over the button. If its over the button for say like 3000 miliseconds, gotoAndPlay (whatever)
    You're probably running a popup blocker. The intro loads in a popup, since its pixel size is completely different from that of the minimal site

I hear ya on the buttons -- but I know a lot of people think it's cool, 'cause you can just rapidly mouse over and cause madness. Doesn't but me, personally.

MadDog - literally, the stage size? As in pixels? You can just view the HTML source for that. The whiz-bang site is 930x540, and the minimal is 700x425.
    Last edited by mr. freak; 11-19-2004 at 06:57 PM.
    Be Happy.

endless possibilities MadDog 555's Avatar
    thanx alot! i didnt think of looking at the html scource. by the way, i REALLY like your website and the preloaders as well. Thanx for a great experience!

austin condiff
    Last edited by MadDog 555; 11-19-2004 at 08:56 PM.

endless possibilities

You're probably running a popup blocker. The intro loads in a popup, since its pixel size is completely different from that of the minimal site
    Nope, no pop up blocker at all. Just doesnt come up, period.
    Also, when I click on the intro button, the music for the minimal site doesnt stop, then when I click on the {Click Anywhere} button to go back to the site, the music starts again, but it gets doubled.
    Played with it a couple more times and by the end I had the song playing 12 times. Pretty cool sounding echo effect I had going.
    But I am sure that is not supposed to happen.
    And last, yes, there is a last, if opened up sound options, then slected a differnt loop. Then clicked on the intro button, then the click anywhere button, the main loop started playing along with the loop I selected. Couple little bugs for ya to figure out.
    Josh

Originally posted by RhameJ
    Nope, no pop up blocker at all. Just doesnt come up, period.
    Also, when I click on the intro button, the music for the minimal site doesnt stop, then when I click on the {Click Anywhere} button to go back to the site, the music starts again, but it gets doubled.
    Played with it a couple more times and by the end I had the song playing 12 times. Pretty cool sounding echo effect I had going.
    But I am sure that is not supposed to happen.
    And last, yes, there is a last, if opened up sound options, then slected a differnt loop. Then clicked on the intro button, then the click anywhere button, the main loop started playing along with the loop I selected. Couple little bugs for ya to figure out.
    Josh
    It's odd -- I don't get any of that. Can anyone else verify this?! What browser/OS are you running?

The music won't stop because the stopAllSounds doesn't happen till the intro is done loading, and if you're not even getting the intro window, then that certainly won't happen!

It's probably some browser quirk, due to the ancient Javascript I'm using. If I can isolate exactly who doesn't get the popup, I can fix it.
    Be Happy.

XP,IE 6
    Latest and greatest according to Winblows

Im sure you have seen this a million times, but just in case. This links pop-up generator always seems to work for my poppers
    http://www.flash-db.com/PopUp/

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Mr Freak.

The whiz-bang version is totally cliched, and would've been a cool site about five years ago. Seen it all before im afraid, and a long time ago, too. (x-dude, designinsites, eye4u etc..)

The minimal version, by contrast, looks far more up to date and totally slick, with just the right amount of pizzazz to keep things exciting.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth. And no, I probably couldn't do better.

Okey dokey, Rhame, try it now.
    Be Happy.

I have always enjoyed the attention to detail you give your animations freak, this is no exception. I too prefer the minimal site but I am a minimalist at heart. (You call that minimal? pfft ).

A few things, firstly I think it is really easy to tell that typography isn't your strong point. At some points I would notice a font and think, hey thats different and it works! At others (more often then not) I would look at a font and think...no, that isn't working. This goes for some of your graphic work as well although I think your all your vector graphics on the site are quite good.

Also, I'm on 512 here and the minimal version of the site took way too long to load. If I am given a choice between wizz bang and minimal, I want the minimal to take under 10 seconds to load, this shouldnt be too hard and i dont understand why the file is so big, I see hardly any bitmaps at all?!

Anyway that's it for now, congrats on another well thought out and impressive site.

Ben

Okey dokey, Rhame, try it now.
    Nope

Try this. Get rid of the javescript in the html amd juts place this on the button
    code:

on (release) {
    getURL ("javascript:NewWindow=window.open('intro.swf','ne wWin','width=930,height=540,left=0,top=0,toolbar=N o,location=No,scrollbars=No,status=No,resizable=No ,fullscreen=No'); NewWindow.focus(); screen_height = window.screen.availHeight; screen_width = window.screen.availWidth; left_point = parseInt(screen_width/2)-(930/2); top_point = parseInt(screen_height/2)-(540/2); setTimeout('NewWindow.moveTo(left_point,top_point) ',100); void(0);");
    }

The part after the first curly bracket goes all on one line!
    It will center your intro too.
    Last edited by RhameJ; 11-21-2004 at 02:24 AM.