A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [beta] Napkin 0.5

Hybrid View

[beta] Napkin 0.5

Greetings, I am working on a drawing application using flash and I think it is about ready for release. Try it out, and let me know if you encounter any bugs, or of any additions that could be made.

Controls:
    NEW:creates a new document
    TRACE:draws back your picture
    LOAD:loads saved picture
    PICTURE:your pictures saved as a shared object
    IMPORT:your picture saved as a .txt file (saved in import folder)
    EXAMPLE:my examples(saved in examples folder)
    SAVE:saves your drawing as shared abject
    SEND:sends your object to OUTPUT.swf (for saving your picture as a .txt file). To do this, your picture must first be saved as a shared object. Then, open OUTPUT.swf. Then click send, select your picture, click send, and the vectors of your picture should be in the OUTPUT.swf file.RightClick-SelectAll-Copy. Open the INPUT folder. In the blank .txt file, RightClick-Paste. Save your file as the SAME name that you saved it as as a shared object. Then add the SAME name to the string in the INDEX.txt file. (yes this is a hassle, but flash no longer has the capability of saving a .txt file )once saved as a .txt file you can e-mail the picture to your friends. Make sure to e-mail your best to me, I'd love to see them . (robotstyle *at* aol.com)

Also this is my first post, so Greetings everyone!

version0.6*
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by yojo; 11-19-2004 at 09:02 PM.

hey welcome to the board... its nice to see new people about

ok about ur drawing thing... only toyed with it for a little while... seems to work... could be cools for an online site, replace those oekaki? or whatever its called... but i really don't see much use for this apart from an experiment...

one thing that annoyed me though was the fact to change ur color u had to click... it should be a slider of some sort (it can look the same, just let me slide the color value up and down)
    also there should be some sort of preview for the colour ur drawing in...

a bug... like i said i only played with it a minute... but...
    when u move the control windows it still draws... oops!

didn't try the save or anything... and hey that snoopy picture was cool... liked watching it load...

also u might be better of trying this post in another forum... we are generally about Art or Animation in here, not programs... maybe try games?
    u might wanna remove ur email from u post, or get destroyed by the spam bots! just stick [at] or soemthing in there

Thanks for testing xup878! AS for how the color is selected, I personaly think it is faster and easyer to specify the color you want by using the 3 main colors seprately to write a hexadecimal code. Because of how it is set up, it would be a lot of rewriting to change that. This way works the easiest for scripting. BUG number one has been spotted! I can't beleave I didden't see this! It shoulden't be to difficult to change.

"but i really don't see much use for this apart from an experiment"
    Your right, there isn't any use from it except from just being a little toy. But toys are fun!* And it's been great education.

As for moving to another forum, Is there something I press, or just repost it over there, with a link from here to there?

selecting the RGB seperately is fine, what i mean is at the moment u can only click in the area to select the ammount, put a slider in so i can slide, for instance, the red value from 0 to 255...

noramlly mods move these posts, but we don't have regular ones here... so just post a link to this one would probably be best... or just ask a mod in the Coffee Lounge to move it...

I get what your saying with the slider. I'll move the post once I add sliders and fix the drawing bug. Thanks for the input!

i like this one.

the interface tools should improve a bit. specially sliders. you need sliders instead of just click click click to move the values

Also, in the color selector, it d be cool if you had a little text field next to each color, so you can either input the value manually or see what s the value of the color as you slide.

also, when you move the mouse faster, it stops drawing circles and draws a line. I guess you wanted it that way, but wouldnt it be better to keep drwaing circles? and if the mouse moves faster, just keep track of it, and draw the circles to complete it.

Also, you can drag the tool bars, but when you do, you keep drawing on the background. that shouldn t happen

Another suggestion. WHen you are in the background, change the cursor to a cross or non-filled circle (kind of like photoshop, and maybe hide all circles while drawing. All that, instead of displaying the arrow all the time.

Also, you may be interested in this:
    http://drawswf.sourceforge.net/
    it does about the same, but it is done in java, and then it is capable of export it to swf. It's opensource, so the code is there.

Really good work.
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Hey Argonauta, thanks for testing. I use the new lineTo and moveTo features to draw, so the circles your seeing are realy just short lines. Like you said, I could make it so that it draws more lines as the mouse moves faster, so that all the lines are circles. I'll make it so that people can choose weather or not they want to, and to what extent. I like the idea of changing the mouse when your in the background. It would prevent the user from accidently drawing at the wrong depth, a mistake I have made often. Thanks for the link to drawswf. I haven't seen this one, and since it's open source, it should give me me better insite on improvments. I noticed that drawSWF uses an external tool pannel. I think this is a much smarter way to go. I'll make a new external tool set for the next release, keeping in mind you guys' ideas.

Napkin0.6

Napkin0.6 is finally done. Thank you Argonauta and xup878 for the suggestions. This version should be much better. Unfortunately I could not add sliders. I did try it, but it slowed down the movie way too much. One of the hassles of working with flash*. Other additions include bug fixes, text, a circle pointer the size of the brush, practice pad, a player that you can use for your own projects (both .swf and .fla included), and many more. The extras tab is currently disabled. Latter I plan to add little extras such as eyes that follow the mouse.

I will make a post now in the Coffe Lounge to try to get this post moved.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by yojo; 11-18-2004 at 10:01 PM.

Moved.
    . . . .

Thanks