dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Parent and Child Movies

Parent and Child Movies

Hey all
    I guess I'm not sure I quite understand the concept of these (is child movies the term?). I always thought that they were a fresh brand new movie that was put in with the main movie in the same flash file. Therefore, I got the impression that I could make a small webpage in 3dfa and have the sub pages as child movies.

One of the things I noticed about the child movie is that when it appears, I can still see the parent movie beneath it. I simply want the parent movie to clear it's content. But I can't find a way to do that. I have an example on the webpage below. When the site loads, click on "Downloads" and the "child movie" will load, but you can still see the old parent movie beneath it.

Since the site navigation is not available yet, refresh your browser to restart the site.

Example Webpage

Furthermore, when you create a button, it gives you the option to add or hide an element, but how come none of the elements are ever in the drop down menu? It seems that only flash movies or sound clips are ever options in that menu.

I hope my problem is stated clearly. Let me know if I need to explain in further detail
    Thanks!

Okay, I fixed it. I created a white square to appear on the background everytime the sub-movie loaded. Originally, for some reason, the main movie was showing through the .jpg, but not anymore. I'm not sure why, but oh well, it's fixed.
    Last edited by ifmuth; 11-17-2004 at 02:34 PM.

This should help you some..........

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=596960

Using the same concept, set your buttons up to show/hide elements that need to be changed, will take a bit of extra organization, but should work for what your needing.

-J