A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Loading several child movies in one location...

Ah yes I see. I do already have 2 container clips then don't i....So I guess you just have to skool me in swap depth...

~**~~Poof~~**~
    Whoa, I'm such an idiot...
    I had a layer over the placeholder where the folders load..

uh..duh...

Thanks y'all...

OLDNEWBIE!

What ya got for me?

Banned
    I've spent too much time here already this morning... You'll have to wait till tonight before I look into it... But you will be the first one on my list!

GREAT! Is what you are doing real complicated? I hope I can decipher the code

TODAY IS THE DAY...I have all kinds of movies I have to get loading. Where is the man with the master plan? Oldnewbie I am pumped, and ready to do this...

I think I may have kind of figured it out, but I still can't get it to work. Is the code similar to this?

on (press) {
    _root.create.loadMovie("create.swf");
    }
    on (release) {
    this.swapDepths(_root.mcname);
    _root.mcname = "_root.create";
    }

Banned
    I'll send you what I've got tonight... Just have to check out a back to "home" button, and how to get rid of containers in that case... Because I'm sure you'll be asking about that in no time!

You are the man...I assume you have it figured out!

Banned
    Mail sent!

Questions...You are right

Ok I need some explanation on how this works, and how you ended up loading my movies. THanks by the way for doing this!

Ok you inserted this:

on (release) {
    if (_global.selected == "b_spark") {
    stop();
    } else {
    navigation_sub.loadMovie("ignitenavi.swf");
    top.loadMovie("ignite.swf");
    swap();
    _global.selected = "b_spark";
    }
    }

I think if I understand this correctly it is if b_spark is selected do nothing else, if not load ignitenavi on the top of ignite.swf...

Right?

Ok well I do not know how to implement it into another movie. While you were working on this I added a bunch of changes and the other two movies. I wanted to copy and paste the code you inserted into the new movies, but it won't work. WHat is the purpose of the actions layer you incorporated? If I am inserting this code into a new .fla no i need to add something else so it works?

I see you have inserted 2 container clip layers...Is that to determine where the 2 movies will lay, (ie layer 1, layer 2) to make the swap depth function work? So if I want to add more movies like the other two buttons, do I need to add two more container clip layers? And the more movies I add the more container clips I need?

I guess I want to be as comfortable as possible because I am going to have to use this code about 20 more times!!!

Ok I think I might understand the containers...

mc1 and mc2 they are the layers for iginte, and its navigation right? They force the navigation to load on top of ignite so you see it?

The movies load with the loadmovie command so the container clips really don't apply to the ignite, create, share, etc movies...

So to load a specifc navigation for another button like create I would change the code to this...
    on (release) {
    if (_global.selected == "b_create") {
    stop();
    } else {
    navigation_sub.loadMovie("createnavi.swf");
    top.loadMovie("create.swf");
    swap();
    _global.selected = "b_create";
    }
    }

WOOOO, I think that may be it!

Banned
    Yep! You're getting it! Containers are generic containers, and only those 2 are needed. All movies should load in the current top container, so that it loads on top of the previous movie. Then the bottom container is swaped so the next movie again loads over the previous movie.

Ok i got it rolling, looks good THANKS A BUNCH!

Do have a question though....What would you recommend as the best method to loading movies when you click on the subnavigation buttons? I still need the navigation there, but I do not want it to refresh. I want the subnavigation movies to load just like the ignite, connect, etc, but I wasn't sure if I should use the swap movie funtion on those or what. If this is the case I need a little assistance on setting it up on a new movie. I tried copying and pasting everything that was there but it doesn't work...
    So I tried a simple loadmovie command, which seems to work fine but I cannot specify where the movie plays like if I used a blank MC. What do you think I should do? Use a simple loadmovie command? If so how do I specify where it loads, or some other code? THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!

Banned
    With your design, think the easiest and best looking for the sub-navigation, would simply be to use the same container clip, to load all sub-navigations movies into. The one I already added in your main movie, I'M not using the one you had in the ignite.swf, if you hadn't noticed. That's why I created an empty movie to get rid of the ignite sub-nav when you press the create button.
    You could possibly even make them movie clips (rather than external movies) within the main movie, and just attach the appropriate clip on each button press, having removed the previous one. Would work fine!

Oh no, I have the subnavigation working just fine...see
    www.elementmultimedia.com/cognition But I was curious what would be the last way to load movies from the subnavigation list onto the main stage. I wanted to use the easiest method but like I said I think I will need to use something complicated, again, like swap depth or something like that.

Banned
    Ok! My bad. Now get what you're saying...
    Don't see why you can't use the same 2 containers?

As for loadMovie, are you loading on a level, and simply can't position the movie other than aligned to the top-left corner?

Yeah I was thinking the 2 containers would yield the best results....Don't you? The problem is that I cannot figure out how to transfer the code to a new movie...

You need actions in frame 1.

Two container layers with mc1 and mc2 in them.

The actions in the buttons themselves.

Anything else, because it isn't working

I would use load movie but like you said I cannot figure out how to load it in another position other than top left, and I am not sure that is the best method for all of this madness....

THANKS

Banned
    But what's the problem with using the 2 already existing containers in your main movie with the sub-navigation?

ohhh, so you are saying use this code on the subnavigation movie buttons?

on (release) {
    if (_global.selected == "b_about") {
    stop();
    } else {
    ////subnavigation code line will be removed because i don't want it to refresh///
    top.loadMovie("about.swf");
    swap();
    _global.selected = "b_about";
    }
    }

OR

on (release) {
    if (_global.selected == "b_about") {
    stop();
    } else {
    navigation_sub.loadMovie("about.swf");
    top.loadMovie("about.swf");
    swap();
    _global.selected = "b_about";
    }
    }
    and the subnavigation will load the about movie on top of ignite, or whatever. But this will eliminate the navigation bar that displays the buttons for you to click on because it has loaded a new subnavigation.

I am kind of confused on what you are saying.