A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Loading several child movies in one location...

Oldnewbie I need your help once again.

Ok I am almost done with the site and everything was going GREAT until...

I was working on the create section and I had two problems.

1. From the attached create fla you will see the scrolling images at the bottom. I want those images to be seperate buttons that goto different movies. For some reason I can get the buttons to work but they will not goto and play a specific frame. Why is this? It can get url and thigns so I know it is working, but no goto frame. Can you look at that? If that doesn't work I am screwed...

2. I want the scrolling images to load a movie on top of the create movie like before when we used swap depth. However I was wondering if there was a way to cut down on the load times and have a movie load on top of a part of the movie but still keeping teh scrolling at the bottom. Basically it would be like clikcing a button to goto another frame and you change some information but leave other info, but it would be a new movie. I think you will see what I am talking about in my fla. Right now I have it set up to Goto and stop at different frames for different clients.

Thanks and I hope you had a good thanksgiving. By the way the "Lexington Homes" button is the one that already has actionscript on it.

THANKS>>>
    Attached Files Attached Files

I figued it out again...Well the button problem, but not the loading of a new movie...

I lied. It works internally, but not when it is in another movie. I forgot that the button was embedded so I had to use

_root.gotoAndPlay("kavhomes");

That works fine internally but when I preview it in the parent movie it doesn' work. Is this because the _root line is no longer correct? The button is embedded deep in Symbol 60, menu, then kavbut is the button that the actionscript is linked to. What would my code be?

_root.create.kavbut.gotoandplay(kavhomes)

Kavhomes being a frame label....

I am not sure because I have tried with like 100 different combinations and it is not working...

Sorry for posting and then tell you I figured it out...

This one seems to be problematic

Banned
    Don't really know if you've solved one or both problems, or are still stuck on both?
    The first one should be solved with the use of _parent._parent...
    code:

on (press) {
    _parent._parent.gotoAndPlay(20);
    }

Don't really understand your second question!

am i filling in the parent blanks...? Wouldn't my actionscript be correct then?

Or are one of those parent blanks the main movie

_final.create.gotoandplay(20)?

Im not sure on what 2 parents you are referring to. I really only have 1.

I understand how it should work, but i can't get it to work.

Actually it might be better to think about this in a different way.

The second problem that i mentioned earlier is going to be the route I take to load these seperate client movies. Ok if you see on the create page... www.elementmultimedia.com/cognition it has the create text at the bottom, and the scrolling images on the right. I want to be able to click on a scrolling image on the right and a new movie be loaded in the space where the ball is, but not covering up the scrolling images, or the create text, and vertical bar. I could house it all on one movie but I think it would be very big, and I am not sure how I would change the text in the text scroller without it replacing the previous text. See what I am saying? If I did a goto and stop action then it would work fine except for the scrolling text box, and I am not sure how to change that so it shows different text in a different frame.

I want to do all this because I don't want the scrolling images to be interrupted when a new movie loads. Can you grasp what I am trying to do now?

That being said what do you think I should do? One movie, seperate movies? Either way I am not sure how to get it to load correctly

Banned
    No _parent is a keyword as this or _root... And that's is exactly what you should be using... It's a relative path and not an absolute one as you're suggesting...

_parent._parent.gotoAndPlay(20);

Your target is frame 20 on the create timeline, right?

Now who is the Lenxington button's parent in the "menu" clip? It's the next level up in hierarchy, thus your "Symbol 60" clip (which has no instance name...), and the first _parent. Now who is the parent of "Symbol 60"? The main timeline, thus the second _parent...

In other words, your button is part of the "menu" clip and it's parent it's the "Symbol 60" clip. And the "Symbol 60" clip's parent, is the main timeline in the "create" movie itself. Thus to target the main timeline you'd use _parent._parent...

If you were targeting frame 2 of the "Symbol 60" clip (if it existed) then you'd need to target only one level up, thus only one _parent...

_parent.gotoAndStop(2);

Clearer picture?
    Last edited by oldnewbie; 11-26-2004 at 10:14 PM.

Banned
    First question would be how big are those movies you want to load? Will you have to scale them down or would they fit in the Ball's white space?
    Next you first said you didn't want to cover up the Create text, but you're now saying, if I understand you correctly, that you want the text to change with what ever movie is loaded above, but not covering the right scroller, right?

No, I want the text in the bottom are and the bar, and the scroller to always be the same. Then when you click on a logo A movie will load the size of the area around and including the ball. I attached the .swf and .fla file. Look at the swf You see when you click on the Kavanagh homes logo it pops up a new bit of info. Currently this is all contained in one movie, and I am not sure if I should keep it this way, or if I should have it be a seperte movie. If you look at the .fla All it is is a goto and stop action on that button.

Banned
    Attached?

Just keeping you on your toes.

.swf

Banned
    Well, if you want to keep that route, if you change your script to what I suggested, it does work when loaded in the main movie...
    code:

on (release) {
    _parent._parent.gotoAndPlay("kavhomes");
    }

But to simplify the whole process, I'd make all of those seperate external movies, and load all of them on a same higher level, over the create .fla. You wouldn't have to change any scripts in those movies, and they'd be easier to update individually, rather than editing all of them in the "create" movie, if you decided to keep all of them in the "create" movie.

Also something that has bothered me from the start, there's a shift in the dragger position, when you first press it, in all textfields... Annoying!

And your next & previous buttons in the "kavhomes" section, could be more simply coded with nextFrame() & prevFrame()...

Yeah I saw that shift, not sure how to fix...

So to load external movies, which I agree would make it very easy...Would I use _root to load them because if you goto a specific client then decide you want to go back it will not work...I wasn't sure if we were still going to use swap depth, because I thought it would replace it...

I guess I could load the specifc client movies in the subnavigation holder, and that way it would load on top, but leaving the movie on the bottom. Is that what you were thinking?

But I guess you would have to modify the code a little because the button is embedded deeeeeeep.

on (release) {
    if (_global.selected == "b_kavhomes") {
    stop();
    } else {
    navigation_sub.loadMovie("kavmovie.swf");
    top.loadMovie("create.swf");
    swap();
    _global.selected = "b_kavhomes";
    }
    }

What would have to change for this to work?

Banned
    No! I'm not talking about the existing containers, I'm talking about loading them on another higher level (level 5 or whatever...), with loadMovieNum. You'd probably have to load a white background on an intermediate level (level 2...), to avoid seeing a flash frame of the always underlying ball (all of those movies still lying below, on _level0...), when loading a new movie on the same level, as swapping levels in the same manner as swapping containers clips is not as easily done.

Would you need me to set up an example with this kavhomes bit?

Yeah please! because I am not sure about these embedded buttons, and stuff. So it would have to swap levels? How would the movies be able to be seen when you click back to a specifc client? Thanks so much Oldnewbie, your a life saver!

Banned
    Been working on it... But must get back to some other stuff, for the rest of the afternoon...
    Can you provide a second's button content, so that I can test it out switching from one to the other...

I'll get back to this later...

Yeah sure, I will have it done asap.

Here is a movie set up for ortho, it will change as far as content but the layout will be the same.

Thanks again.