A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: xml socket server

xml socket server

here is a topic I know nothing about. maby the all knowing denisens of fk can clear some thing up for me.

is a socket server something I can just upload to my web server and use, or is it something that the server admin must install and configure like a php server.

thanks

It is something that lives on your server at the same level as Apache would. It handles incoming socket connects and sends data out. On unix it is typically a daemon process and on Windows it would be a service.

Thanks

Luke
    Flash-XML FAQ
    http://www.tupps.com/flash/faq/

ok, thanks for the info. I obviously had some misconseptions. I'm hopeing to start working with flash, xml, and socket servers in the begining of next year. Do you know of a host that offers this sort of thing, or am I better off simply setting up a server to do what I want.

Keep in mind I'm mainly looking for a way to develop, test, and demo projects useing this technology for school.

thanks for the info

seth

There are some, but writing your own socket server is a fair bit of work once you get past the 'basic 2 person chat server'.

It might be worth looking at Colin Moocks Unity server. I have used this in the past and it is quite good.

Thanks

Luke
    Flash-XML FAQ
    http://www.tupps.com/flash/faq/