A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: stretching movie to fit web page, no matter the resolution

stretching movie to fit web page, no matter the resolution

I have a flash movie, but it doesn't make an exact fit to the edge of the web page. Now my screen resolution size is 1024 x 768 pixels, I suppose I could always make the width of my movie 1024 pixels, but if someone is viewing it at say 800 x 600 pixels, I don't want a scroll bar to appear. Vise versa as well. If I made the movie 800 pixels, the viewer with resolution 1024x768 will see blank space at both sides of the movie. How do I make an exact fit no matter what resolution it is. I'm trying to create a wide screen effect on a website.
    Some help would be great

using flash mx and dreamweaver mx for this project.

you can do this either in the publishing section of flash (which i don't like) or in your HTML editor. I use dreaweaver but it should be the same on frontpage. first insert your flash movie into your html code and it should automatically put all the code object id bla bla bla.. the actual code is where you change the size.

<object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="100%" height="100%">

<param name="movie" value="main.swf">
    <param name="quality" value="high"><param name="SCALE" value="exactfit">

<embed src="main.swf" width="100%" height="100%" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" scale="exactfit"></embed></object>

your code will look something like that.. the difference being that where it says width and height yours will say 1024px by 786px.. just change that to 100% by 100% in both places in the object tag..

this will make your movie fill up 100% of the page but you're not done yet if you want it to be 100 full percent because usually there's a default 15 pixel border around the page so you have to go to page properties and in the margin fields type 0 on each side and now your movie will fill 100% of the screen no matter what resolution also make sure the style is set to exact fit instead of show all or else the parts of your movie that are off the background will show up too..