A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Can I load an external SWF into a container MC from another external SWF (NAV)?? HELP

Can I load an external SWF into a container MC from another external SWF (NAV)?? HELP

DETAILS:

Main Movie contains two empty MCS one instance is called container and the other nav_container.

When the movie first loads, it preloads on frame 1, and then goes to frame two. Frame two has an action to load some sound, and the home_nav.swf file into the load_movie.swf file's nav_container.

This is where I run into my problem. From the home_nav.swf file, I have some script on my buttons. The buttons call an external file swf (subpage - content) to load into container MC (on load_movie.swf timeline). I cannot get the script to call in these subpages! Here is the script I used:

on (release) {
    _root.container.loadMovie("social.swf");
    }

I assume it's a path issue? I feel like i have tried everything...i'm sure it's something simple that I missed.

I appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Valerie
    ||| Valerie |||

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT

Banned
    Picture and graphics in signatures here on FK are limited to 300*40 and 15KBs MAX...

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=540268 //footer rules

That said, assuming "container" is the instance name, and not just the Library name it should work.

Maybe you should attach your .fla, zipped up and in a MX only format.

You would have to save a copy of your MX2004 .fla, (using Save as...) and changing the Document type to MX only in the Save as... window.
    Last edited by oldnewbie; 11-24-2004 at 02:25 AM.

thanks. I've had this sig up for a while, no one's complained. Also, usually if they want to limit that, they can. Other forums I am on don't allow you to upload files of a certain file or pixel size for sigs or avatars. Not everyone reads the rules of forums - esp. since I've been using them for years and years...and don't really mis-use them or do anything out of the ordinary.

But since it's in the rules, I will change it...i'm due anyways!

As for my flash issue....posting my fla isn't so easy, because there are about 5 files that work together.

1. load_movie.swf file w/ two MC instances

2. Then there is home_nav.swf which loads into the load movie nav container instance

3. Then there is the homepage.swf file that loads into the container MC on load_movie.swf.

4. Then of course to be sure everything is working properly, the website would need to be tested to call up a suppage: such as music.swf and it's corresponding nav: green_nav.swf

this website has frustrated me for a long time, and I just want to get it done and out of the way so I can get paid and move on to another project!

So I really appreciate any help on this!

I am using MX2004. I have the files at home however, so I'll have to wait to put that up tonite.

Thanks for the help...but as you said, it is supposed to work...

I think the problem is that the _root is looking for the container in the home_nav.swf file, and does not see _root as being the root of the load_movie.swf file, which is where the path issue comes in. Not sure how to direct the path to go to load_movie.swf file's container.
    ||| Valerie |||

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT

Banned
    If you're on MX2004, look into _lockroot...

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flash...=00001522.html

PS: Didn't accuse you of any misuse... Just pointed it out!

That quote is from a Phish song I like...didn't mean anything towards you. Just one of the sigs I made a while back that I fixed to be with in the file size requirements. Tee Hee.

I'll look into the _lockroot thing, but I did mess w/ that before...will check again! My client is hoping to have the site up in early December! I hope I don't run into any other problems! I already have 3 flash friends of mine looking into this. They are very good at it too, and they can't seem to fix it! Gotta be something stupid!

V.
    ||| Valerie |||

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT

Banned
    If you do post the files tonight (or if ever you want to e-mail them to me...), remember that in my case, they should be in a MX only format, not MX2004...