A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: RE: XML not loading- solution

RE: XML not loading- solution

Some of you may remember the whitespace routine from flash 5 that also enabled the opening of larger xml files. I have been trying without success to load large xml files in flash 6 without success. Flash 2004 will open large xml files that include menu's at a 20 * 20 depth. in other words 400 levels. I have auto generating menu's that I use in for computer based training. I automatically produce CBT's from a MS word template with the graphics done in flash. It takes about 1 minute to generate a CBT from a MS Word document and the flash movies, all hands off, just watch the menu's generate and then the frames

Regards and thanks for the help over the years.

Flash 6 was faster than Flash 5 from memory. Are you sure you don't have the old flash 5 speed up routines which might be hurting flash 6?

Thanks

Luke
    Flash-XML FAQ
    http://www.tupps.com/flash/faq/

re xml loading problem

I have the old routines in my last flash 5 player. I upgraded the player to play the flash six player and auto create the menu's on the fly from the embedded menu elements. In my first player I used attributes in the main and sub menu's to get the text for the menu's. This time I used the mainmenu[i] incremented by 1 everytime there was a new main or submenu to add. My XML therefor looks like
    Mainmeneu1 followed by child elements Sub1, Sub2 etc. This carries through the whole XML logic. What happened was, only the first number of elements and children showed. I did everything but stand on my head. My old player did much better, it loaded over half before dying. What was most frustrating was using trace in the "if(success) routine and getting a successful load message back(my own stuff here). No matter what I tried< I could not get flash mx to load. I have flash 2004 in the box and decided to load it as I thought I'd wait until the next project. The bottom line is flash 2004 loaded immediately and my player ran. I spent ten solid days, eighteen hours a day trying to figure it out- with the client screaming at me for the training material - I think I'll go back into retirement - but they keep calling and its winter up here in Canada. I don't give up easily as I am almost 70.