A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [DEMO] John Web

[DEMO] John Web

Some of you may remember a month ago for my idea for an RPG. Well since then I have been working hard and now I want to show you how it is coming along. Here is the demo:

http://swc.homestead.com/johnweb/

Enjoy! Any feedback would be great. Also, if you are interested in helping me finish this game just send me an email or pm because all help is needed.
    Andrew Webster
    Impressive Click

Sorry, but my Browser (InternetExplorer 5 under MacOs 9.2) always tells me something about "A scripting-error has occured" while opening your site!?
    It also occurs while opening the sub-sections.
    For example the NEWS-Section:
    Microsoft JavaScriptError
    Line: 63
    Sign: 22
    In the Demo-Section it's line 74 and the same sign!?

Clicking that message always away, the site seems to be O.K.

Hope it helps!

Cheers, Roderix
    http://www.vektorsektor.com
    Cheers, Roderix

I don't understand why its doing that. It works fine on my computer but for those who may be having the same problem, I have put my game on another server:

http://johnweb.freeprohost.com/index.html

Sorry about any problems
    Last edited by swcAndrew; 11-27-2004 at 03:29 PM.
    Andrew Webster
    Impressive Click

one BAD mutha FK'er astrocalder's Avatar
    i'm interested to see where it goes. i like the art for the items at the supermarket, and john's design. it seems like a lot will be possible - fighting and hover lessons, or whatever that was. is the area you created so far just a town in a larger world?
    anyway keep going with it. i think the bg art is okay, i like the bushes, but try to make the buildings stand out more.
    also can you read the signs, or just not yet?
    oh and also if you reduce the size of the text in the sequences when you can buy things, like when you enter a store, i think it'll be more pleasing to the eye. it doesn't need to be quite so big, and you can use the extra space to draw in more detail.
    but yeah keep going with it. congrats on getting the demo running (and 100 posts!)

astrocalder

Originally posted by astrocalder
    it seems like a lot will be possible - fighting and hover lessons, or whatever that was. is the area you created so far just a town in a larger world?
    Yes this is a town in a larger world. The rest will be more like forests and underworld oceans. Notice some of the roads are blocked off. I know it seems like a lot with fighting and racing but I was trying to keep interest for continuos fun.

anyway keep going with it. i think the bg art is okay, i like the bushes, but try to make the buildings stand out more.
    also can you read the signs, or just not yet?
    Yea, I know about the bg art and I have been having problems with that. I re-did the buildings three times and I am still not satisfied. I don't know what to do, so I was hoping I could get an artist to team up with me and help me out. No, you cannot read the signs because most they just state direction and location and the places that they talk about aren't in the game yet.

oh and also if you reduce the size of the text in the sequences when you can buy things, like when you enter a store, i think it'll be more pleasing to the eye. it doesn't need to be quite so big, and you can use the extra space to draw in more detail.
    but yeah keep going with it.
    Ok, thanks ill try and fix it. Anyone else?
    Andrew Webster
    Impressive Click

one BAD mutha FK'er astrocalder's Avatar
    for the buildings, i noticed the style you used was like in stick rpg, with a slightly skewed birds-eye view approach. but maybe if you try a style more like in zelda for superNES, or secret of evermore, if you know those, where it's more of a straight-on overhead view, it'ld be easier to draw. or add a brick pattern, etc.

you could find someone to help, but i do like your style, you should try to stick with it. if it doesn't work out i could help with some simple buildings i guess... but give it another try first.

astrocalder

i personally think that a redesign should be done... I thought the graphics were poor.

Also, maybe smooth animations for the movement of the main character?

okay, I see that the graphics need work. Any comments on the concept the game? Any feedback is really appreciated even negative.
    Last edited by swcAndrew; 11-27-2004 at 10:14 PM.
    Andrew Webster
    Impressive Click

Yeah grafics need to be revamped, totally!!

Um not to sure about buying weapons and magic from stores that look like supermarkets, i think you're better off keeping in medieval!

Btw: Using the new link, no javascript error occures anymore.
    Cheers, Roderix

Originally posted by Dr Warm
    Yeah grafics need to be revamped, totally!!

Um not to sure about buying weapons and magic from stores that look like supermarkets, i think you're better off keeping in medieval!
    I wasn't really going for mideval style, although you make a good point. Thanks to everyone who helped me! Anyone else have something to say? What would like to see, What don't you like (except the graphics)?
    Last edited by swcAndrew; 11-28-2004 at 06:26 PM.
    Andrew Webster
    Impressive Click

Hi, the only thing what i can see is a green background.

Yea sorry, you have to let it load a few seconds.
    Andrew Webster
    Impressive Click