A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Music Site

Music Site

i don't like the opening page. what's the point of asking what's your favorite song when you haven't even seen the site yet? as well as the sign up for the mailing list. and the colors and layout of the opening page don't quite work for me.

generally a nice idea for the site, but the scrolling down was somewhat annoying. and you should really keep any music downloads on the same page, or at least a pop up; it takes away from the theme of the site. why doesn't the female member say her own name, it sounds like a male voice?

I can see your point about the front page layout - it changes often anyway depending on what the band is up to. I don't really take much pride in it's design - and of course I should really it being the first thing people see. This particular front page was to cater for the new release of our CD (thus the poll). The site is on the mostpart purposely built for the band's fans - ie. people that have already been to a gig or heard our CD. So that is why the song vote is on the front page. It's a fan poll - for people who already know the songs. Mailing list form is for the same reason. And the reason its on the front page is because people weren't really noticing it when I had it at the foot of the home site (scroll down) page. I would of course have ideally liked to incorporate the mailing list AND poll forms into the scroll down page, but can't because all the menus/sections are pure flash, and i don't have the know how to create forms in flash. So i guess I am just trying to get by as best I can with what I can do... but then again maybe I shouldn't let my technical know how hinder the eventual outcome. Hmmm. Any suggestions on how i can better go about this?

It annoys you to scroll down? OK. Anyone else not like this? i'd like to know if this is a majority opinion - don't want all our site visitors getting hacked off with it. I guess the initial design outlook was that it's different from most site layouts - it appealed to the band because of that. A lot of site visitors do comment on how they like that actually - maybe it's either a love or a hate thing??

I hear you on the music downloads thing - very true. I think a pop up will be a better resolution. Just have to look out the scripting to do that...

I have very little know how of programming/scripting - I have just become quite adept at 'customising' and 'piecing together' a combination of other people's scripting and stuff.

The female member saying her own name... umm... well no-one actually says their own name, it was just a fun little gimmick using Fruityloops computer speech programmer. Again, the sounds here change once in a while - I am soon to swap the speech for instrumental loops.

Many thanks for taking the time to comment.

i dissagree. i'm sure you have fans and (in my own experience) most of the people who visit your site are going to be fans or people eventually listening to your music. it's a good idea to have a poll to see which songs people like more so maybe you can start or finnish a set with that song. the only crits i have is the little section labelled "artwork", you should have a link to another page where people can click a thumbnail to a picture, not too much different than what you have done allready but it would just make things more "user-friendly" instead of having to scroll down to a picture you want to see every time you want to look...not too important but that's all i had, other than that you have a cool band site...mine sucks...lol...it's not even finnished but i'm now (thanks to your site) thinking of making use of the purchase of mx i made a while ago to make my site as cool as yours...

Cheers 'awayout' for the more positive comments Yeah, I can agree with you on the artwork section thing - I am on the case right now! All the best with your own site, I am away to check it out now...

Muchos Gracias

Donna