dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: xmlConnector won't load on Scene 2??

xmlConnector won't load on Scene 2??

I have a movie with several scenes and I'm trying to load xml data using the xml Connector that comes with Flash 2004. I've done this MANY times, but can't figure out why it won't load this time when the connector and combobox is in scene 2. Everything is in the first frame and the connector has been triggered. Anyone have suggestions?
    Last edited by Turnerman; 12-03-2004 at 05:06 PM.

I have the exact same problem. No matter where I put the damn connector, if it ain't in Scene 1 it wont work. Has anyone found a soultion?

DaDoom

Instead of creating the movie as a normal Flash document, create it as a form application - that way the XML-related components can be on frame 1.

Originally posted by Turnerman
    Instead of creating the movie as a normal Flash document, create it as a form application - that way the XML-related components can be on frame 1.
    Ehm thx for the reply but I have no clue what a form application is

I am not too experienced in Flash. Nevertheless I think I have tried all possible combinations by now. The only one that seems to work so far ist when you have the connector, the dataset and the datagrid in the 1st frame of the main timeline and in Scene 1. Then it doesnt matter how you trigger it, it will work.

The xml data wont load as soon as you place any of the 3 components in any other frame but the 1st, any other scene but the 1st etc. I also tried to create a movie clip containing the components and attach the movie dynamically. No matter from where you trigger the connector: it wont work.

Basically what I want to achieve is very simple. I am creating a homepage entirely in Flash. On one of the pages an Datagrid should show, filled with the information from an xml file.

I thought the new components would simpify the process, it seems they complicate it rather.

Cheers
    DaDoom

I have found 1 method that seems to work:

Put all components in a separate flash document and load the swf file into the original movie by using the loadMovie() method.

Seems to be the only one working for now. Nevertheless if anyone finds any other solutions I am always interested.

I assume you're using Flash MX Pro - from the menu bar at the top, select FILE - NEW; you'll have the choice of making a Flash Document, Flash Slide Presentation, or a Flash Form Application. Select Form Application.

You can insert as many slides as you want, while keeping the top level slide as your controller (buttons, etc). When you want to make a slide visible from a button action, click on the button instance and use the behaviours panel in Flash under SCREEN - HIDE/SHOW SCREEN options. Good luck!

EDIT: There are more tutorials on screens at www.ultrashock.com