A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: We will be able to live to 1,000'

We will be able to live to 1,000'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4003063.stm

Life expectancy is increasing in the developed world. But Cambridge University geneticist Aubrey de Grey believes it will soon extend dramatically to 1,000. Here he explains why.

I'd hate to be the 61 year old reading that article
    talk about missing the hypathetical boat
    what the hell's a motion tween?

Allan Jardine
    This is fantastic! I have to say that I'm not surprised that life expectancy is going to be dramatically increased by drugs - but its nice to see that someone is really working on it.

Living for 1000 years and seeing what we can do would be great. Living forever would be bad imho... Seeing your own star go red giant would just be depressing...

Allan

"If you are a reasonably risk-aware teenager today in an affluent, non-violent neighbourhood, you have a risk of dying in the next year of well under one in 1,000, which means that if you stayed that way forever you would have a 50/50 chance of living to over 1,000."

See you in the year 3000 then chaps!

The social implications if they succeeded would surely be huge....

If we bred at the same rate the word would become overpopulated (note: more than at present) in a matter of years.

100 is plenty 'nuff for me.
    subgenius.com

i don't think i am paying enough into my pension to last through til i'm 1000

yeah, no doubt.

exactly how much do i have to save to plan for 935 years of retirement?
    that's a lot of freakin' BINGO!

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    As the revised saying goes, only two things in life are guaranteed, death and taxes - and there are already plans to make the first one illegal.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

i'm looking forward to being 1000... just think of the things u'd see in your life time!
    all i've gotten so far is the crappy millenium... boo

i'd love to see our star go red giant... i'm curious as to whether we will still be here by then aswell... exploring space is the most exciting thing about living to 1000 for me...
    of course there will have to be strict laws about this to stop over population... if it ever happens of course...

Am I the only one that wouldn't want this??
    Life is long enough as it is.
    Cannot comprehend this site still exists

Damn hippies....
    Last edited by silverx2; 12-03-2004 at 01:28 PM.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    In Engines of Creation Erik Drexler puts forth that humans could live to around 2,500 once nanites take over cell reproduction. If i remember correctly he stated that nanites would look at 3 or more dna strands before replicating just one instead of blindly replicating one. This would dramatically cut down bad cell replication and associated damage. If you haven't read Engines of Creation, you really should.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Originally posted by silverx2
    i think i saw this dude on the sex offenders poster at the post office....
    /\ That's not very funny.

Aside from said comment's lack of taste, it is an unfortunate truth that what we look like colors what we say and do. Can anyone take anything this guy says seriously?

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Originally posted by xup878
    of course there will have to be strict laws about this to stop over population... if it ever happens of course...
    I have been a huge fan of licensed childbirth for a long time....if you can't pass this test NO CHILD FOR YOU!......just think of all the stupidity that would prevent.

Señor member
    Originally posted by Markp.com
    "If you are a reasonably risk-aware teenager today in an affluent, non-violent neighbourhood, you have a risk of dying in the next year of well under one in 1,000, which means that if you stayed that way forever you would have a 50/50 chance of living to over 1,000."

See you in the year 3000 then chaps!
    won't it be strange when we're all fully grown ...
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

No one's taking quality of life into account. Those last 500 years have to be rough.

We couldn't economically sustain ourselves and provide the necessary healthcare. Not to mention dealing with the overpopulation.

I'm gonna go watch Logan's Run.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Originally posted by PAlexC
    We couldn't economically sustain ourselves and provide the necessary healthcare. Not to mention dealing with the overpopulation.

I'm gonna go watch Logan's Run.
    If we were meant to live 1,000 years, if that were a standard life expectancy, current organization of life (political, economic and social) would be dramatically different. As would our reproduction cycle, I imagine.

I'm not quite sure why sometimes things like this are so desperately sought after. The implications for life on the planet are horrendous, and I'm not sure why the 'intelligent' people who seek these goals can't see that and make the wise decision to apply their intellect to somthing that would benefit mankind rather than see us wading through out own ***** within the next 1,000 years.

and 'because I can' is not a viable answer

Originally posted by EVPohovich
    I have been a huge fan of licensed childbirth for a long time....if you can't pass this test NO CHILD FOR YOU!......just think of all the stupidity that would prevent.
    Certainly, it's a thought - but totally denying the right to the most fundamental of human processes is off the scale when it comes to inherent civil liberties. Of course, that's not a problem in China, but elsewhere, I doubt you'd get far with that one.

Señor member
    Originally posted by EVPohovich
    I doubt that would honestly make things massively better though. I'd imagine George Bush's parents would have been granted a licence and look what happened there, they gave birth to the psychotic dictator since Hitler.
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Originally posted by hurricaneone
    Certainly, it's a thought - but totally denying the right to the most fundamental of human processes is off the scale when it comes to inherent civil liberties. Of course, that's not a problem in China, but elsewhere, I doubt you'd get far with that one.
    I never thought it COULD become a reality, just a fantasy of mine. I really have zero tolerance for stupidity (lots for typos though )

I for one am convinced that homosexuality is just nature's way of controlling the population. Just because you're not breeding doesn't mean you should be alone.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.