dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Including another swf

Including another swf

I need to know how, if it is possible, to put another flash, either to fla or the swf, into another flash. Like have a button go button and then load the other flash in it for easier lay out or something. Anyone knoe what I'm talking about?

You can load a Flash movie into another Flash movie using the loadMovie() command. You can either load it into a movie clip or a level, which is like a layer that sites above the main movie.

Ok, see where that is now. Now I need a little more help because I'm not all that advanced at all this actionscript

It says loadmovie(url, target, method);

the url i can gues will be 'http://www.mydomain.com/movie_a.swf' but what would the target and method be?

if u want to load your movie clip in a specific position an empty movie clip is created at that position and target is used to load new movieclip at that position. u will have to specify the name of the empty movie clip in the target field.

for detail information visit www.kirupa.com

You have the first part of the loadMovie() correct. You don't necessarily need to have the complete path to the .swf file you want to load in the URL portion but it doesn't hurt. I mean if all of your .swf files are in the same location with each other you could just call it by "nameOfFile.swf". For your target you would enter the empty movie clip or level you want to load the .swf file in to.

Here are some examples:

Code:
    loadMovie("ind_bio_loader.swf", _root.big_scroll.bios.page);
    /*
    The _root.big_scroll.bios.page is the full path to the empty Movie Clip called "page" where the .swf will be loaded.  Basically "page" is nested inside the mc "bios" which is inside the mc "big_scroll" which sits on the main timeline or _root.
    */
    You could just as easily do it this way:
    Code:
    loadMovie("ind_bio_loader.swf", 1);

/*
    This will load the .swf into level 1 (_level1). This is the next level above the main level which is level 0 (_level0).  If you were to load the .swf into level 0 it would essentially overwrite you main movie and all you would see is your loaded .swf.  Otherwise it will simply look like it sits on top of your main movie.  Then if you loaded another .swf into _level2 it would sit on top of both and so on.
    */
    Hope this helps.

Where on www.kirupa.com can I find this?
    Which article?

tnx in advange
    Come gather 'round people
    Wherever you roam