A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Difference between Premier and After Effects

Difference between Premier and After Effects

Hi
    My question is simple that what is the difference between Adobe Premier and Adobe After Effects as these products belongs to the same company?

Thanks

[Illustration][Commercial Designing]
    [Textile Designing][Large Format Printing] [Web Designing]

Well, I'll try to keep this as simple as possible, since I'm a pretty simple guy. I basically use AF to make special effects,(ie Keying, composites etc. through the use of layers). Think of After Effects as a Photoshop for video. I use Premier for editing and assembling. Premier can do some effects, but I prefer AF sfx ability. If you are going to be working with a lot of effects you need both...or at least you need AF and a decent editor.

Yes, Premiere is basically for stringing together and arranging video clips and audio in order to produce a finished piece of work.

After Effects is something you'd use before Premiere and on individual clips to tune the colours, add effects, and also composite (layer clips vertically, like adding a seperately shot of a fighter jet over a background sky).

mark

While using AFter Effects we don't need to use Premier is'nt it?
    Because I think After Effects can also export files to number of formats as well.

thanks for reply.
    Last edited by raufaamir; 12-15-2004 at 01:34 AM.

[Illustration][Commercial Designing]
    [Textile Designing][Large Format Printing] [Web Designing]

After Effects is designed for short clips. It is not designed to be an editor. It would be too cumbersome. You don't need to necessarily own Premier, but you will need some kind of editor.

and say that you want to make special effects

like realistic clouds and lightning effects for the use in
    navigational elements in flash and small realistic animating banners

is after effects enough to work with then?

After Effects can do those things, but if that's mostly what you want too I'd say that AF is a bit of overkill. First of all, Afetr Effects is a pretty expensive piece of software and it has a steep learning curve. It is mainly designed for serious video work. What you seem to have in mind can be done by various utilities that are designed for Flash. You can download a trial version of AF from Adobe...but I would search right here on this site under the Flash Movie Special effects section to find what you are looking for. I can remember at least one component set that allows lightning and particle effects in Flash.

oh thx for the advice