dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Software Installation Menu

Software Installation Menu

Hello everyone. Thank you for checking my post.

Newbie Will here.

Here is what is going on, I asked for help before on setting up a software installation menu. I took a flash site and created a menu. I resolved my earlier issues of getting the software to install when you click on a link in the flash menu.

What I didn't know is this: the setup.exe file is 4 MB. When I got done with the flash installation menu, the file total size is over 80 MB. When I inserted the CD in a Windows 98, older model computer, it was sloooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww to load. It is a no-go that is for sure.

I need to create just a simple flash menu to install the software. A little something but not too much.

Does anyone know of any sources where I could find a template for this sort of thing?

Don't ask me to create it, I'm too much of a newbie and don't have the time it would take to probably figure it all out. At my age, I just don't want to learn a lot of new tricks.

Thank you much.

Will

Hello Again, Will.

Still need to know what software you are using (Swish?) and what you are trying to use as the front end (.exe or .swf?)

Not too many templates (that I know of) as an installer interface, but we'll be happy to help you accomplish your goal.
    While changing my profile, I accidentally clicked the link that said
    "Add 'Dead Rabbit' to your Ignore List"
    so now I can't talk to myself anymore...

The Repository -:- The Forum

I'm an easy mark for software.

I bought Swish2, SwishVideo and SwishStudio.

The install package I made came from one of the SwishSites I bought. I created a link in one of the flash pages to the setup.exe file. I then used SwishStudio to build the movie.

I assume you have seen some of the flash type menus that appear when you buy a packaged software program on CD? I recently bought the Paint Shop Pro Photo Album software from JASC. You put the CD in, it auto runs and this nice little box appears, which is about the same size as this window I am typing in. There are like five software programs on the CD menu. As you put your mouse on each, the name lights up and a description of the software title appears on the right side of the pane. It's cool. That's what I want to do but don't know how.

I was hoping to find a small, flash install menu that I could tweak and play with.

Thanks.

OK, now that I know what you are using, we can get some help.

Check the Studio Help files for info on launching external .exe files. (I don't have Studio) Should be in the documentation as to whether you have to follow the Flash "fscommand" guidelines or if there is a shell command in there you can use. (In SWF Studio, it's "ShellOpen")

So, you would create a projector of your liking, that executes the other files on the CD, rather than including them as part of the projector.
    While changing my profile, I accidentally clicked the link that said
    "Add 'Dead Rabbit' to your Ignore List"
    so now I can't talk to myself anymore...

The Repository -:- The Forum

I have that issue fixed. The only issue I am having now is that the menu is over 80 MB. It's slow in Windows 98 computers.

I need a smaller flash menu for users to launch so it doesn't appear to be slow.

Thanks.