dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: merkdesign.com, new version

Life moves at 63 fps. mr. freak's Avatar

merkdesign.com, new version

I was a fan of the old one, and this one is pretty neat as well.

www.merkdesign.com

(Safari users beware -- it won't work! You'll have to fire up IE. I know, it hurts.)
    Be Happy.
    WebFeats v5 { webfeatsdesign.com } \\\ ITA Judge { internettinyawards.com } \\\ My band! { modusoperandiband.com }

It's a nice site. Crisp and clean but I don't see anything of wich I think "Wow, this is new, refreshing, original". And isn't that what 'cool sites' is about?

^ I disagree. There are sites that are not original or revolutionary, but are still cool.

Yes, but then it will get rather dull in here.

didnt work properly in firefox either, tisk tisk

I think it's cool because of the speed, slickness, and rhythm of the animation. It's what I respect most in a website; it's my focus. "Coolness" is quite subjective, after all
    Be Happy.
    WebFeats v5 { webfeatsdesign.com } \\\ ITA Judge { internettinyawards.com } \\\ My band! { modusoperandiband.com }

Ok, I now saw it at night and there's actually movement going on. Didn't catch that during daytime.
    It's slick and fast movement (can see why you posted it mrFreak) but is it supposed to have that sort of 'double' transition? It kind of confused me a bit.

evolve......
    i was a big fan of the last merk and to be honest i was expecting more for this version.

that is not to say that i do not like it, because i absolutely do. great smooth looks with a slight minimalism feel to it.

i am sure this site is much easier to update and will be more functional for merk, but i was not satisfied in that it seems like a total abandonment of what his last site was.

my 2 cents...

Quite nice, it's lacking any real content though. It wouldn't make it into my 'Cool Site' links.
    Keep it rural.

I dig it. Clean, to the point. Nice werks in the work section also.

2x thumbsup from BN.
    PC-system: PC/486, 66 MHz, 16 MB RAM, Floppy-interface

Originally posted by sense
    It's slick and fast movement (can see why you posted it mrFreak) but is it supposed to have that sort of 'double' transition? It kind of confused me a bit.
    I believe the site is using variables to simply pick from sets of tweens, animating from one section to another. It's exactly the way I'd structure a site like this, though it does lend itself to a sort of "double transition" effect if one doesn't feel like animating every possible one-section-to-another transition.
    Be Happy.

I think the site kicks ass. I think there are way to many people on here wanting to pick at sites that are quite honestly fantastic.

The transisions I agree repeat a little, but they are nice and quick anyway. The design of this site great aswell.

Nice work.

Site won't load for me on a res of 1152 by 864 with IE PC. Think it's my screen res that it's not set up for.

Market Monkey
    Boooooo.

"Your screen resolution is too high to see Merk Design correctly, please adjust your screen resolution to 1280 X 1024px."

um...no. How can a designer honestly expect people to change their computer just to access a website?

Bad decision, Merk Design. Bad usability. Bad brand building (unless your brand personality is "difficult"), Bad Idea. Design your site better so it works at other resolutions. Be flexible. Be realistic. The universe does not revolve around your website! If you want people to visit your site, you should make it as easy as possible.
    Last edited by akroll; 12-13-2004 at 05:48 PM.
    Nothing happens until someone sells something.

Works in Safari now, it seems.
    Be Happy.

Originally posted by akroll
    [B]Boooooo.

"Your screen resolution is too high to see Merk Design correctly, please adjust your screen resolution to 1280 X 1024px."
    I'm at 1600 x 1200 and got the same thing.

I wanted to see the website, but that made me sad and I left.

Only thing I would change is that double transition thing. There's only 3 separate sections, we don't need to see going out of one section to the main level and then into the one you selected, as said can be confusing, but more importantly, a waste of time! It's so noticeable because all 3 sections are so visually similar that it would be easy to just go from one straight to the other.

Rest is good though. Simple and clean, displays the stuff nicely.

i don't like that kind of page. additionally: I hate popups.

not a coolsite

ditto about the popups. My browser is set up to ignore them. I always hate it when a page forces me to allow them.

i'm a sucker for minimalist stuff, so of course i love it. it worked in firefox for me, btw. i think was makes it great besides the smooth animations is all the sounds he has. yeah, there sounds everyone has heard before, but when you've got that much motion going on, and you can pefectly match up sounds, that's really cool
    it's all in the details
    conrad-design.com