A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: text kerning effect

Question

I'd like to do a tweened text effect where my text "stretches" from a tight kern (spacing) to a loose one. If I just create my text and scale it the letters get distorted. I can create a text word, make it a symbol and apply a tight kern, then do the same on another key frame and have a loose kern, but when I make the group of frames a motion tween, the kerning is the same on both pieces of text.
    I've seen this effect on many sites.

Anyone clue me in on how to do it??

thanks,

jdr

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Wink

There is two ways to do this, The hard way:
    Break the text up and put each letter on its own layer and tween each letter individual. Or you could do it the easy way spend $30. USD on SWiSH which will get the job done in less than a minute. http://swishzone.com/ Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

Get Squared Away.

There is also another way to do it using shape tweening. Type your text in the first keyframe. Adjust it to a tight kern. Go ten frames down, and press F6. Adjust text to a wide kern. Now break apart the text in frame 10 and frame 1, and add a shape tween.
    If in frame one, the letters aren't too close together, this will create the effect you're looking for without morphing the letters. Hope this helps.

Happy flashing.

Talking

Thanks guys,

I'll try your method Josiah (actually I was thinking on the same lines but hadn't done it yet). Or as you say Pope, go for the Swish.

jdr