dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: good books

good books

Ok, I sorta used the search feature to see, but sorta have a specific book need. Which would be good for someone who can get around UI of FLashMX just fine and draw well, but hasn't used it since first build of Flash MX and hasn't been web dev'in since then. Also someone who was never THAT good at Flash to begin with. Oh and I have no idea about Action Script 2.0. Thanks. Internet is always great, but sorta have some free time throughout day when I'm out of range of wifi network at school, so...yeh. Thanks again!

I think the general-purpose Flash books don't cover actionscript well, and a separate actionscript-only book, such as Colin Moock is essential.

I like the Linda Weinman series (Flash Hands-on-training) for general purpose books, and there are other good ones. You should check out the user-reviews on Amazon for this and similar books.

Alright, read the reviews on Amazon and the summary on your own site(btw, your other examples on the site were really educational, ty), but I still have one more question left. Is his AS2.0 book good for getting a good footholding in general on AS? I say this because before this I only did basic AS and now I really wanna makesure I can do as much as possible in AS to improve runtimes. So, I'm wondering, should I only get Moock's book on AS2.0? Or should I first delve into the ActionScript for Flash: a Definitive Guide ? I ask this because it seems Action Script for Flash has nothing on AS2.0, so I'm wondering if it's useless now...I'm sure it may have good theory..but...rather not pay for just theory
    Thanks abunch!
    Last edited by ChocoTaco; 12-11-2004 at 12:09 AM.

The two books (The Definitive Guide and Essential Actionscript 2.0) are intended to compliment each other.

The Definitive Guide covers the nuts & bolts of Actionscript and Essential Actionscript concentrates mostly on the more sophisticated object-oriented techniques enabled by Actionscript 2.0.

This relationship will become more clear if you compare the table-of-contents of both books, which you can do at the O'Reilly site (safari.oreilly.com).

Here, in a quote from the introduction to the 2.0 book, Colin Moock compares the two books:

While this book is zealous about core ActionScript 2.0 and object-oriented programming, it does not cover every possible ActionScript-related topic. Specifically, you won't find much discussion of companion technologies, such as Flash Remoting or Flash Communication Server, nor will you find a dictionary-style Language Reference, as you do in ActionScript for Flash MX: The Definitive Guide (O'Reilly). Whereas that book describes the Flash Player's native functions, properties, classes, and objects, this book teaches you how to use those classes and objects, and how to fit them into your own custom-built structures. The built-in library of classes available in the Flash Player changed only incrementally in Flash Player 7, so ActionScript for Flash MX: The Definitive Guide, continues to be a worthwhile reference—even to ActionScript 2.0 developers. It makes the perfect companion to Essential ActionScript 2.0.
    -- Colin Moock
    Also, if you happen to have an old copy of the first edition of ActionScript: The Definitive Guide (the one without the MX in the title) it's pretty dated.

All of the information in the current edition of the Definitive Guide is still quite useful.

At the moment, I find the Definitive Guide the more useful of the two books, but I imagine that over the next couple of years I will find the newer book increasingly useful.

Hope this helps,

- Jim

Ah, ok, thanks alot. Will start with the definitive guide then. Thanks alot for the help.

Colin Moock told me recently that the as2 book is more for experienced programmers. i suggest his first one for mx.