A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: new site jsment.com

I'm a software engineer!

new site jsment.com

Hey, I just registered here and also just put up my site: http://www.jsment.com. Its one of my first 'real' flash sites. Check it out and let me know what you think. Remember, I'm a beginner! BTW the content isn't all there yet!
    -josh
    Last edited by ThugDoubt; 12-11-2004 at 04:13 AM.

I'm a software engineer!
    surely someone can check out my site for me.... please?

it lookd fine to me, perhaps another complementary colour to go with the blue would be nice.

I'm a software engineer!
    cool thanks!

hey. hey. a-hey-na-ney-na-hey D-von's Avatar
    i dunno, it seems pretty bland to me.
    i've never been a fan of that blue and the position in the browser is kinda aggrivating. the music gets to me too.
    i do like how the links are on the rollover and how they come into the frame.

keep experimenting and revising and you'll have something cool.

I'm a software engineer!
    thanks, im gonna add a complimentary color. and i kinda liked the position, its not something you see that often and i thought it worked well here.
    -josh

hey. hey. a-hey-na-ney-na-hey D-von's Avatar
    and thats why its your site and not mine.
    heh

also, i don't like waiting for the 2 music things to load. If i want to see your site, i want to see your site. the music is a nice compliment to it, but thats more than half the loading time right there. maybe have the music load in the background so it doesnt take so long.

I like the rollover and button effects as well as the panel movement. You could do something about the music though. It takes a while to load, and doesn't add much to the overall theme which should be how pro you are at web design. Also, the volume control doesn't seem to work for me (I added mine). One more thing, I think you could add more control to the scrollbar, or just use a conventional one.

Cheers, Steve

I'm a software engineer!
    thanks for the comments. can you elaborate on the more control for the scroll bar part? Im not sure i understand.
    thanks,
    josh

You need to make it so the text is contained within the gradient box or something... it looks sloppy right now.
    When you click sub-sections of your site you should just have a transition for the text. Right now it goes to a keyframe which fades in the subnav buttons again, the sliding motion for the gradient and inserts the text each time, which gets annoying.

I second the motion for you to have an independent music player loading AFTER the site loads. Keep picking away at things and it'll fall into place.
    Have a wonderful day!
    http://www.gpathmedia.com!

I'm a software engineer!
    just updated the site, took some of your suggestions, check it out!

http://jsment.com

thanks everyone!
    -josh

Coolie.

(Btw small thing to note, I'm fairly sure that it's impossible to have "competetive" prices. =) )
    Have a wonderful day!
    http://www.gpathmedia.com!

maby it is me

i had to right mouse click and press play three times...did this happen to anyone else? site looks good...add more animation, more content...
    If you kill me, Ill be dead!
    www.powerfuze.com

"Do you know any slow or special people?" -special ed (crank yankers)

Kickass intro Volume control still doesn't work for me though. About the scrollbars: the way it scrolls down on the mouseOver is nifty, but it goes a little too fast for me. It's not really noticable now but when you develop more content it could become hard to get to the place you want. Conventional scrollbars, like the UI component or the one in IE give full control and a professional feel, IMO. Keep up the good work!

Cheers, Steve.

I'm a software engineer!
    thanks for the feed back guys, i'll keep workin on it!

a touch of orange - better

it worked that time...very nice...maby make it more compact by using a border and centering in the page...just preference tho-
    If you kill me, Ill be dead!
    www.powerfuze.com

"Do you know any slow or special people?" -special ed (crank yankers)

It's looking a lot better, but still no volume control! Also I again recommend to let the music load in the background, or scrap it altogether.

Cheers, Steve

I'm a software engineer!
    there is volume control!! the pluc and minus signs just click em! also, i load the first bgm at the beginning because it plays thru the intro. the second bgm loads as the intro is playing, noy during the loading screen.
    -josh