dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Optimized Site / Design Studio Critique

Optimized Site / Design Studio Critique

Hey Everyone,

I've recently developed a portfolio site and a seo site I'd like to have critiqued.

This is a new company I started up recently, just checking to see what you guys think of the design/overall feel of the site. I'd also like to know if the site works in other browsers, I've tested it in IE and Mozilla, so any mac users I'd appreciate your comments on any bugs you may find. Here's the link:

www.optimizedsite.com

My portfolio site has been up for a while, however I've been working on the design and coding for some time now. I just added a flash header, matching the animations on my flash site too. Here's the link for my portfolio/design studio site:

www.newinteractivemedia.com

All of your comments are appreciated.

- Josh
    http://www.newinteractivemedia.com

quality work mate.

Your portfolio site is red hot too - do i detect a touch of after effects there?

thx mal,

I did add a little ae to the rollovers. I'd like to also do that cloud effect where it looks like your flying through the clouds on optimized site in the top right, but I can't find the right pluggin for AE... If anyone out there knows a way to do this, please let me know, I'm running out of options...

- Josh

whacked..

I'm not tryingto spread hatred I'm just being honest but what the hell happen to all the talent out there? I look at these sites that you 'flashkit' users call 'awesome' and 'cool' and all of them look like something I can buy on templatemonster.com!!

Man, on your portfolio site, that roll-overs is ridiculous!! It's not cool it's just 'bad 'design!'

sad, very sad..
    'mess with the best (spungemedia.com) die like the rest!!'

spUNGE_cHRIS,

Yeah, ok if you say so.

www.optimizedsite.com---

Alignment is good, color is good, however it feels boring, but this is a content driven site so it doesn't need to scream at you. One small thing that bugs me is how the rollover covers the decender on the "G" of the marketing button.

www.newinteractivemedia.com---
    I agree with the rollover comment, it really serves no purpose therefore there is no reason for it. Rollovers have become a "gimmick" it seems, when they can really be a powerfull aspect to a design. I feel that a rollover should always make the button more legiable or atleast be very clear as to what you are about to click, that is whats great about rollovers.

The site in general feels like a hodgepodge of web trends from the Art Nouvuea background to the infamous diagonal line surface but they dont work together since they are 2 completely different styles. That lion also appears to be the same image from that uber popular portfolio with all the wildlife (cant remember the URL for the life of me). Over all the site "clean" and feels right, I just think there is a little to much "inspiration" and not enough originality. You have the chops to make a good site, the skill is there, its just the fresh creativity that seems to be lacking.

good job tho!

spUNGE_cHRIS,
    whatever you say......

abound,
    thx for the constructive critique. I've had a lot of opposing posts revolving on whether the rollovers on the flash site work. I realize they aren't too user friendly, my main focus on this site was eye candy, just to show clients the variations of styles I can work with for their sites. The flash portion of my portfolio's actually been up for a couple years now, probably why it seems overly inspired. I'm sure mal's seen my site around here for ages as well. I'll come up with something fresh with due time, just haven't had much time to work on my portfolio lately.

- Josh

Originally posted by N.I.M.
    my main focus on this site was eye candy, just to show clients the variations of styles I can work with for their sites.
    Yeah I hear you on that, its a really tough median to reach because everyone likes different ****, that is why I am moving away from that school of thought and just giving pure content in this next portfolio. I learned the hard way (older clients dont get it) but if you can make it happen then I give you props.

later