A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Loading several child movies in one location...

Loading several child movies in one location...

Hello everyone I have a question that I think can be answered quickly by one of you guru's. I am loading several child movies into one parent movie. I can get that fine using this code _root.ignite.loadMovie("ignite.swf");, and of course changing the .swf name and the instance name. My only problem is that when you click to play one, it pops up, and another it pops up, but when you try to go back to one you have already clicked on it will not show it up. I think it is a level problem but I didn't think you could use levels with "root." I have the different movies on the same layer and they still won't go over each other. DO i need to unload some movies, or what? here is the url:

www.elementmultimedia.com/cognition you will see the problem when you click on ignite, and create. Thanks for your help.

Banned
    Ummmmmmmmmmmh! You'd better attach your .fla, zipped up and in a MX only format, not MX2004.

You would have to save a copy of your MX2004 .fla, (using Save as...) and changing the Document type to MX only in the Save as... window.
    Last edited by oldnewbie; 12-02-2004 at 11:12 AM.

OBIWAN- I am at work right now and I will not have access to the files until about 6:00pm est, do you want me to email it to you or what?

Banned
    Can't work on this until tonight anyways... So either attach them here, then... Or I'll provide a e-mail address through a Private Message...

If you don't mind I would like to email it, it has a lot of info in and that I don't want spreading around...

Banned
    You'll have to enable your PMs, so I can PM you an address...

Banned
    Or can I send it through your e-mail address on your site?

that will do.... I am sure you know but:

www.elementmultimedia.com

Banned
    So I should send it through the contact form on the above site?

I was thinking the contact address posted in the site (site icon) at the bottom of your posts?

What does the button say now?.........I haven't updated my site, that address is like from 1910. The new one is alive and kicking, with the right address attached to that button.

www.elementmultimedia.com

Banned
    Mail sent just now!

Banned
    Ok! Had a look... But pretty waisted tonight... Will have a further look tomorrow, although I'm quite busy tomorrow...

That said I guess you'd want to swap containers, so that the right container always appears above, as in my swapdepth example posted above... And that's mainly to avoid seeing a flash frame of the home displays lying underneath, right?

But tell me this... Would it be the same with the Share & Connect buttons? And how would I, as a user, go back to the "home" display? Through the lower left home icon?
    And last, in the problem that presently concern us, would you get rid of the Ignite animated submenu, when hitting Create? As it is now, it remains there. Would it be another submenu? Or would you you simply remove it while on the Create screen?

I would like the parent movie to be there all the time, its like the template for all of the other movies. I would like the share, connect, ignite, and create buttons to load another movie on top of the parent movie, while still allowing all the buttons on the movie to be functional. You would go back "home," or to the original parent movie by clicking the home button, and it basically shows what you see before you click anything at the beginning. Lastly all the child movies would have their own sub-menu just like ignite, however I couldn't get rid of it, because like I mentioned earlier the movies don't replace each other, they simply lay on top of each other, and there is no way to see a movie once the other child movie is on top of it.

This is a big problem because not only do the ignite, create, etc. movies need to load on top of the parent movie, and need to be accessable no matter what movie you are looking at, each one of those movies will have 4-5 different movies that need to play on top of ignite, create, etc. that you can access from the sub menu. Then when you are done in a specific section, you can click on ignite, create, etc. and it still brings you to the original child movie.

Does this seem like something you can work out? i am real worried because without this my whole flash file is not going to work as planned...

I forgot to ask....I there something in the child movies that is permitting it from showing up above another movie? I ask this because when you go from create, to ignite the ignite movie doesn't load, but navigation bar does and that is a seperate movie inside of ignite....WEIRD

~**~~Poof~~**~
    Not to threadjack, but I am doing the same thing, and my child movies are really washed out when they load into the parent. I am doing a photography site and the loaded photos are really light compared to when the child are viewed separately. It's wierd.

Any clues?

Also, does load time of the child movies get affected if they are in subfolders?

Thanks!

THREADJACKER....Just kidding. How did you load your child movies into the parent movie? (loadmovie, or _root?) I am having layering issues.

~**~~Poof~~**~
    on (release) {
    loadMovie("flamingo.swf", "_root.holder");
    }

I'm armed, and dangerous.. (lol)

Thats my code and it loads into a placeholder...

The child movie looks fine, when it loads into the parent, it's washed out..

:-(

Banned
    EDIT: IN ANSWER TO THIS THREAD'S STARTER... AND NOT TO HIJACKERS...

To answer your last question, the ignite movie is in fact loading each time you press the button... it's just that since it's in a container clip under the container clip that contains the create movie, you simply don't see it... But you do see it's subnavigation, re-starting from the beginning, proof that the ignite movie is in fact loading. Get it?

Now the usual way of doing this, is to use but one container clip, replacing the movie it holds on each button press. Once cached, after the first initial loading of each movie, the movies then appear almost instantly, all loading in that single container clip, replacing each other on each button press.

I know the intention is keeping the main home movie (and it's buttons...) visible at all times and as a base for loading all other movies... And what I meant by an eventual flash frame of the main movie between the exchanging of 2 other movies on top of it, was in fact, just referring to the main movie's center display portion and not the whole base home movie itself.
    You see, when using but one container clip, there is a fraction of a second, when the previous movie is "unloaded" and the next one does in fact appear, giving you a flash frame of any underlying content, which in this case is your home center displays, that remains there all along the movie.
    That's really annoying, so one workaround is to use 2 container clips to load the movies, but to swap the depths of those 2 containers (put one on top of the other) each time a movie is loaded, in order to ensure a new movie will allways load over the previous one, preventing the flash frame of underlying content, in this case, your home 's center displays. Exacly as the balls in the example I posted... Each ball is loaded over the previous one, rather than one ball replacing the other...
    Do you now better understand what I'm saying?

Now I'll set it for you, but can't really do it before much later today, as I'm quite busy today, on my regular day job!
    Last edited by oldnewbie; 11-17-2004 at 10:59 AM.

I do....Kind of when you say container clip what exactly does that refer to? Is swap depths pretty complicated? Will that work for the submenus that go on top of the ignite, create, etc, which is also on top of the parent movie? THANKS SO MUCH for your help, you are a lifesaver!!!

Mark

Banned
    When talking about container clips, I'm talking about your "create" & "ignite" mcs, for example, on the top left of your center display of your main movie. Those are container movie clips in which your movies are loaded... SwapDepth might be a little tricky in this case, but should work fine...
    The different sub-navs shouldn't be a problem...

Later!