dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: www.peterwilster.com

www.peterwilster.com

Hi there, long time no login here. I'm preparing the website of my premier animated short "The Yellow House". My website is small but heavy and very graphic-intensive in a sort of retro-cinema look. There are some parts missing but the main interface is complete. Please take a look and post your observations, critiques, suggestions, etc.

www.peterwilster.com

Thanks a lot for your time. I'll do my part checking other sites in this forum too.

Peter
    Last edited by pwilster; 01-18-2005 at 01:02 AM.
    :: Animaxima :: Your company's art dept.
    www.animaxima.com

very mood provoking, I like what you've done alot. Not a big fan of the dusty reel thing usually but it really adds to your ambience without detracting from the usability of the site. well done!

the preloaders could be a bit more obvious perhaps, I didn't notice them right away and ended up clicking the about link a few times before noticing the loader.

cheers.
    Evolve Designs Interactive Media
    the natural selection

thanks Evolve, not any other comment? how about preloading times? I've been told it takes forever to load the site so I slashed it a big tad...

Site loads fine on my end. I thought the text was a little hard to read. If you're a web-developer, why would you be using a free blog service?

~ Brian

I dont consider myself a web developer, my expertise in flash is very limited as well and it doesnt cover blog programming. Anyway, Im open to suggestions and new ideas. If you can direct me to a tutorial of anything better than blogger I'd be very grateful.

Don't get me wrong, you've done an excellent job. Don't know of any blog software, however you should be able to make posts to your site by just renewing it. Right?

~ Brian

nice tone

I like it. The audio loops and sound effects combined with the distressed film-reel effects create a cool mood... the tone and feel of the site is neat... Good job.

I like the site. But it does take a long time to load everything if you are on a slow connection. I'm on a 56k and while the intro screen loaded fast, the "enter site" part took a few minutes. But I do like the look and sound effects.

Originally posted by mrshybee
    Don't get me wrong, you've done an excellent job. Don't know of any blog software, however you should be able to make posts to your site by just renewing it. Right?

~ Brian
    Yeah, well, the idea with the blog site is to make it possible for anyone to participate, something like a simpler bulletin board without all the different topics and the registration hassle.

Thanks for your compliments. I'm always trying to refinate the site.

News and forum link now available...

Thanks for the comments and questions, I'll try to answer them in my site's forum, for others to see.

http://www.peterwilster.com

hi, can you tell me how did you accomplish that fuzzy moving, or how to say it? hmm you know, the thing you do wth the buttons in the second page, specially in the typography? i was trying to do that in another webpage but couldnt, it looked lame.

if you can PM me with the answer, if it's a secret of the proffession, then it's OK, just reply that!
    Last edited by theBeorn; 01-16-2005 at 03:16 PM.
    -why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?
    -why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

It's made out of two layers of the same image. One being slightly offset from the other and transparent set at 40%. Use actionscript code in one of the layers to make it vibrate while your movie is set at 30 fps, it will create a randomized effect while it takes advantage of flash unperfections when drawing at high speeds. The downside of this is a cpu-intensive movie.

There are a few great tutorials on the subject here in my alma mater Flashkit.com

One thing I didnt mention is that all the animation is done in flash mx.