dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: freeware

freeware

If something (sound, font, anything) is labeled "freeware", that means that i can use it however I want, right? Whether it's for personal use, or selling inside an animation or website.

I don't want to get in any legal trouble or anything, so thank you for your replies.

No, this is not true. Free only means that you don't have to pay for it... but you are still bound by whatever legal agreement you made when accepting the free offer.

If you plan to re-distribute, sell or otherwise transfer ownership of anything that you received (whether you paid for it or not) you had better make sure that doing so is part of the license agreement you made on acceptance.

And in this area, ignorance is not bliss. Just because you may not know of a license agreement on a product does not mean you are not bound by that's product's license.

Do your homework, and make sure for yourself that you are complying with the original creator's wishes.

Yeah, okay. But I think normally that's shareware (when you're bound by certain regulations).

But what you're saying is: I can use it, just do whatever the author wants first(link to site, pay, etc.)?

What I'm saying is that you are bound by whatever legal agreement you enter into. And no, this is not just shareware, this is all-ware. It is anything that you are legally bound by.

Again, it's a case-by-case situation, so make sure you check with the specific product you're talking about.

Your first post made it seem as though you were looking to redistribute or sell someone else's product that you got for free.

Most license agreements, even for "free stuff" explicity state that this is against their terms.

You really need to check for the specific agreements of the product you're talking about.

So basically just check the fine print.

EDIT: Okay, so I was searching around the site, and i noticed that most fonts include a readme.
    But i couldn't find any sound loops that did. I followed this link that explained the terms, and it said that i was able to use freeware sounds in just about any way, but it was common courteosy to drop the author a line, thanking him/her.
    Last edited by small_lard; 12-17-2004 at 12:05 PM.

There you go!

Thank you.