dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Sea-Quake strikes southeast Asia, claiming hundreds of lives

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Wow....................

nothing like pictures to make something REALLY sink in....

Just .........wow....

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    try these overview before and after shots from the same source -

http://www.digitalglobe.com/images/t...23_2004_dg.jpg

http://www.digitalglobe.com/images/t...28_2004_dg.jpg

david p
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

Originally posted by aversion
    banda aceh before

after

(large images)

From the look of the contruction there they didn't stand a chance. Up to 40,000 people in this one city alone are reported to have been lost, and in indonesia as a whole the government is now saying almost 80,000 people died.

This PDF summarises all the images.
    Originally posted by David Petley
    try these overview before and after shots from the same source -

david p
    Aversion beat you to it, dp.

Those images... wow.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    G....Aversion images are close-ups, the ones I posted are the bigger overall picture over the same town.

...from http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...2/s1274378.htm

"As many as 5 million people are not able to access what they need for living," said David Nabarro, head of a World Health Organisation (WHO) crisis team.
    Tourists were among those caught by surprise. Nearly 5,000 foreigners - half from Sweden and Germany - are missing, many in Thailand, where 710 foreigners have been confirmed dead.
    dp

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

holy g@d. From those pics you can imagine the entire thing being submerged for a few minutes.

the HDSat images really hit me hard and also the following term + explaination.

white water sports has a term called "strainer"
    An opening or openings clogged with tree branches or debris that allows the water to flow through, but a solid object such as a person cannot.

the fast-moving water associated with the tsunami crushed homes and other coastal structures turning cities into debris, as the wave receded it would create strong currents and many 'strainers' where a person would be sucked into and trapped or shreaded.

so if you didnt get crushed by the initial impact or float and drowned, you would get trapped in a strainer...
    Last edited by Naked inc.; 12-31-2004 at 01:37 AM.

Originally posted by EVPohovich
    Wow....................

nothing like pictures to make something REALLY sink in....

Just .........wow....
    Damn!

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

Vote for your dog
    This is the nastiest disaster in a good long time. Mourn for the dead and pity the folks who have to bury the deceased. It's a nasty business that I had to do 16 years ago after a hurricane. I spent a week moving and burying people who didn't survive. You can't conceive of how painful it is for the people who have to move the bodies. You think It doesn't matter if you know the deceased ... you think ... until you recognize someone you knew.

Damn i was on holiday 2 cities away from the incident. Most people who died where poor or fishermen, then tourist..i still think the indian government doesnt care....like they care about anything.
    Anyone knows where Bill gates 800 millilon $ donation for aids went?

->-<-
    Well its really boggles your mind and makes you realize how lucky you are to have a computer at your figertips let alone be alive.

Ive sent my relief money through unicef and the redcross. Anything you guys send is a + and im sure greatly needed.

i think this will become the most devasting disaster to ever appear before humanity.

why is the war in iraq still happening?

why, do they(insurgents) not stop fighting they claim to be closest to creation why are they not helping, where is the iraq contribution is the oil and assets frozen? if that sh+t would stop! all nations could free up many soldiers, money and caring people for the relief...

is it a battle of human issues -VS- natures issues?

charities have becomed besiged with offers to help, they dont have the infustructure to manage this!
    the world bank gave 250Million, why can we not contribute directly to this bank and have the money distributed without transaction costs.
    i mean anything and everything helps but it needs better management.... the countries are spread so thin with the damn war in iraq, we cannot get the relief where it is really needed.
    Last edited by Naked inc.; 12-31-2004 at 05:40 AM.

Originally posted by Naked inc.

the world bank gave 250Million, why can we not contribute directly to this bank and have the money distributed without transaction costs.
    it aint that simple, money alone won't help someone who doesn't have shelter or fresh water and food.

Even if you fly over yourself and hand out 10 notes it'll do sod all to help.

no matter who you give money to there is, by definition going to be an administrative cost, whether it be to send the money overseas, pay aid workers or purchase water and food.

you are naive to think that the world works, or could work any differently.
    Last edited by swampy; 12-31-2004 at 06:51 AM.
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."

but nevertheless, those who can should make donation, those poeple really need help, and money is all we can do...and it can indeed help, it cant bring back those peoples who didnt survive, but they need money for medicines, cuz land is overwhelmed by corpses that are rotting, and children are getting ill...everyones getting ill...cuz in that atmosphere where all people are sticked to another...u cant imagine how illnesses are travelling fast.

i just made that thread in the coffee lounge with links to donate to MSF and Red Cross...its really easy dudes...i just did it...
    ~LiLcRaZyFuZzY*

I live in malaysia, a place that was struck. Thankfully, I live far away enough from the shore to not have been hit, but the images we see on the news are horrible. It's about the only thing they show. This is supposed to be the biggest natural disaster of the century.

Supposedly, Just before the tsunami hit, it looked as if someone had pulled the plug on the ocean, the water at the beaches had receded so far. So of course, what does everyone (especially tourists) do? They go to investigate.... :S

Anyways, if y'all could donate some to the red cross or unicef (since 1/3 of the victims were children), that would be great and it would definetly help all those people out. Thank you.

I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

Those videos are... stunning.

Can't believe that most people didn't think "RUN!" before it actually got to them.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Originally posted by ViRGo_RK
    Those videos are... stunning.

Can't believe that most people didn't think "RUN!" before it actually got to them.
    ...some did, and reached higher ground, or climbed something higher...they're called survivors.

...could you outrun a speeding car, an express train, a taxi-ing jet plane?

From what I have been reading and seeing, the mass of water was moving much faster than anybody could run, if they were close enough to look it in the eye, so to speak.

davidp.

Originally posted by david petley
    ...some did, and reached higher ground, or climbed something higher...they're called survivors.

...could you outrun a speeding car, an express train, a taxi-ing jet plane?

From what I have been reading and seeing, the mass of water was moving much faster than anybody could run, if they were close enough to look it in the eye, so to speak.

davidp.
    I think he was referring to some of the people who were just standing there on the beach, staring at the incoming wave like a deer caught in headlights.
    In some of those videos it seemed some people really did wait until the last minute to run, though I can see why that could happen. You're out there sitting on the beach and you think it's just a big wave coming in, not a tsunami that's going to cause mass death and destruction.

Yes, but in the videos, they didn't start running till the water was at their feet.

I'm just pointing out that curiosity killed the cat. Or sadly, in this case, humans.

*edit* like visionray said. *edit*
    Last edited by ViRGo_RK; 12-31-2004 at 04:19 PM.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Originally posted by ViRGo_RK
    Yes, but in the videos, they didn't start running till the water was at their feet.

I'm just pointing out that curiosity killed the cat. Or sadly, in this case, humans.
    no chance... It's like the deer's frozen stare at the headlights.
    Freebies:
    Sound Loops | Sound Effects | Images | Code Pigs | 6ood coff33

The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.