A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 2 hotspots and rollover - Please HELP

2 hotspots and rollover - Please HELP

Hello, thanks for reading.

Check out the attached flash movie. Do a publish preview, and you'll see what I am trying to to. Check out the boom lift button. When it stops, I need the top and bottom portions to link to seprate url's. This, this is why I created a hotspot on thet "hit" propertyies of the symbol in scene boom, frame 11. The link does not work.

Please help, I am on a deadline here!

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi..
    If you post your fla. in MX format(Save as/Options)....i dont have mx2004 yet........i will take a look for you

okay, i saved as flash mx

I saved as flash mx, however, I got this warning....

This file contains the following data that will be lost if saved in Flash MX format:

Unicode
    Actionscript 2.0
    Persistant library data

I don't know if this is a problem or not, but here you go, try this file.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by MX_rook; 01-01-2005 at 04:14 PM.

Hi...
    I took the bitmap of the submenu(articulated and telescopic pic)
    then i broke this apart(Ctrl+B pressed twice)....then selected top half and converted to button then the same with the other half....
    Then i converted both buttons into a movieclip and replaced the keyframe (11) on the choice 1 layer of the scene "boom" with this movieclip.......i also added a mask on the layer above to tidy the slide effect.....
    On each button there is this action....
    code:
    on (rollOver) {
    _parent.stop();
    }
    on (rollOut) {
    _parent.gotoAndPlay(12);
    }
    on (press) {
    getURL("http://www.high-lift.com");
    }

this causes the playhead to go to frame 12 of the scene "boom"
    and play........
    I wasn't sure if you wanted the same URL for the second button
    so it takes you to Google....you can edit....
    here is the fla. in MX only format and the swf which you can see is working......i dont have MX 2004......but if you need further help
    just shout!

thank you

Your fix worked well. Thank you. I cleaned up my animation and attempted to recreate your scenario in the "scissor" scene. When the mouse rolls out, the animation goes to "boom" scen 12 instead of "scissor" scene 12. Interestingly enough, if I change the order of the 2 scenes in my scene window, the problem will appear on the opposite button, and vise versa. Doe this haves omething to do with the "parent" function that you used?

Anyway, i attached an updated copy. Thanks a million!

Hi..
    I personally prefer not to use scenes....so i have rebuilt your fla.
    using movieclips within movieclips instead...
    here is a rundown of what i did....
    first i made a movieclip(boomMC) that contained 5 layers...
    actions layer
    hit layer
    main layer
    mask layer
    sub layer

the actions layer has stop action on frames 1 and 15....then a gotoAndStop(1) action
    on frame 29 to send the playhead back to frame 1.

the hit layer has a button with actions attached on frame 1 only, which..., on rollover,tells
    the timeline to go and play frame 2 which is the tween animation of the submenu movieclip
    containing the 2 buttons(artic button,tele button)

the main layer is the "boom lifts"image(the first thing you see) and this is also tweened
    when the hit button is rolled over

the mask layer hides the submovieclip so you only see it within the borders as it tweens..

the sub layer..on frame 2... contains the submenu movieclip containing the 2 buttons(artic button,tele button)
    this is tweened when the hit button is rolled over as i explained...

the two buttons(artic button,tele button) have actions attached which makes sure the main boomMC stays on frame 15
    when they are rolled over and also checks to see if the other main MCs (scissorMC,forkMC) have already stopped at frame 15 .,..
    if they have.... then the actions tell these other MCs to play frame 16 which sends them back to frame 1 via the tween that
    occurs .....then the action on their last frames tells the playhead to go and stop at frame 1..
    (so in other words...if the mouse is over a different mainMC...the other MCs slide back to place)
    lastly there is also the onRollOut action which tells the boomMC to go and play frame 16...this is the closing tween
    and as the playhead reaches frame 29 there is the gotoAndStop frame 1 action which sends the playhead back to frame 1

this method above was then repeated for the scissorMC and the forkMC....

To edit your buttons so that the URL links work....open the library and open the folder called 'submenuMCs'
    there you will see the 3 submenus containing the buttons....doubleclick on 'boomsubmenuMC'....
    this will enable you to edit the actions on the 2 buttons as they are now on the stage....
    i have set each button to link to Google so you need to put your appropriate URLs
    then do the same for the other submenuMCs.....

This fla and swf and help notes ....contains the method i have used....it is in MX format only...
    i hope it helps you.....if you need more ....just shout!
    BTW..you did not include the submenu images for the forkMC so i have made some grey placeholders for you....just replace these with your images.....

Last edited by hum; 01-03-2005 at 01:18 PM.

thanks

Well thank you. I appears that all your work was in vain as I can not open this document. It does open, but all I get is a blank document in MX 2004.

I don't have plain MX. Why the hell did macromedia not make MX 2004 backwards compatible?

dagnabit!

maybe someone who reads this thread and has MX2004 will help out....

Do you think it would open in flash 4? I have a copy of that. Please help man, I would liek to get this opened.

I have an idea

Hey man, I noticed something. Your flash document is very small in file size (20kb) perhaps you did not save it correctly? Can you do me a huge favr and post just your *.fla upload here? Please try this.

Actually, when i extract it, the *.fla file is 0 kb in size. the *.swf file has some size to it and works nicely.
    Last edited by MX_rook; 01-03-2005 at 05:54 PM.

Can you please repost the file today? The *.fla file is empty! Please.....

Hi..
    Sorry i took a while in replying......i was helping someone else...
    here are two flas. and swfs.
    one is saved in flash 5 format....the other is flash MX

i tried to save as flash 4 but there were action script problems....

and like i said earlier...i dont have MX2004 yet.......dagnabit!

hope this helps

here is the flash5 version....

and here is the MX version.....

Hi!
    Here is an MX version. I just did it with frame labels. There is no forklift rollover...I didn't see one??
    You will need to move things just a bit, but all the functionality is there. I hope you can see what I did so if you need to change it, you are able to. If not, just holler and I'd be happy to help.
    [something cool goes here]

Oh shoot. Sorry hum. I started typing and working on the file, then posted. I should have checked to see if you had re-posted. Didn't mean to jack your thread.
    [something cool goes here]

Hey....no problem Biff....nice to know you were out there helping too!