dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: chris-sharpe vs. flashkid105 :: über battle of the newbs!

Hybrid View

Person called Chris chris-sharpe999's Avatar

Newbie match

Really new to this but figured "may as well start somewhere". I know I suck but hopefully this is a good place to practise. Aaaanyway, rules:
    I've started with 500*300, but if you really wanna change it I'm not particularly bothered. Rotating is allowed, and so is pretty much anything else you can think of. This will probably only last a few pictures but hopefully there are some other people who just want to start out practising to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Give it time, chris. I think people are still battling their christmas/new years hangovers.

or it could just be me...

Either way, give it time. I'm sure that somebody will accept your challenge.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Addicted To FruityLoops Studio FlashKid105's Avatar
    I'll accept your challenge.

Some more rules that you should be aware of:

All subsequent volleys MUST retain a portion of the original image.

This really isn't a set rule in the Arena but I like to do my images at 800 X 600 or greater. With that in mind, I'll start working on my return

BTW, I use Macromedia Fireworks

Ok this is all good. Like I said I'm not too bothered about any specific rules, and I know it should contain items from the previous image, but I thought if someone just wanted to create one on a similar theme then they could too.
    Personally I'd prefer to work a bit smaller than 800*600 but if thats what you want to do with it then I'm sure I'll find some way to fill up the space.
    I'm using Fireworks too, I have got accces to Photoshop but I'm starting to get comfortable with Fireworks now.

cool. if it's a match, I'll change the title for you.

quick reminder though... keep the files under 130k or so...

Yeah change the title please, and I'll try to host them somewhere else if they get too big anyway.

I don't think file size should be a problem if you save your stuff in GIF format.

However, If you do decide to not save your image in GIF format, you'll need to e-mail the PNG file to me. My e-mail is: valerian5200 [at] yahoo.com

*word to the wise... don't ever post your e-mail address at FK. Spambots will use and abuse it* - gerbick
    Last edited by gerbick; 01-03-2005 at 10:23 PM.

Personally I prefer .jpgs, .gifs sometimes seems to come out a bit jaggy for me (if that makes sense), but if there's any reason you can't use a particular image then sure I'll send the .png

And you might want to take your email out, something to do with bots can read them from boards and send you stupid amounts of spam I think.
    Last edited by chris-sharpe999; 01-03-2005 at 10:13 PM.

gifs are good for simple images, as well as text and some lower indexed color images, as well as vectors.

but for photos and more realistic imagery, stick to jpg's or *.png's. But png-24 can get huge, and png-8 can look just as bad as a *.gif, which tend to get that ugly diffused look.

that's sorta web-design 101, flashkid. should know better.

anyway, title's changed... can't wait to see the imagery. you can attach bigger images than 130k, if need be, but the Arena rules are normally 130k for images that use the {img} tag... with the right kind of brackets, that is.

No worries, My Yahoo Mail is smart. It know when there's Bulk Mail coming in.

About the JPG's, yeah, I prefer those over GIf as well. There will be times when I want to take a particular element of an image out so the PNG file would be great!

Originally posted by FlashKid105
    About the JPG's, yeah, I prefer those over GIf as well. There will be times when I want to take a particular element of an image out so the PNG file would be great!
    learn layer masks. no need for swapping files ever that way. that's pretty much the norm around here... we don't swap the images.

layer mask, different layer application method, layers, and blending. all part of composition.

Cool,

I'm working on my return volley right now so I will post it when I am finished.

OK,

Here it is. The Mario World image that I imported was done completely from scratch. All objects including the bricks, mushrooms and bushes were drawn by hand.

Hope ya like it,

At school at the moment so can't do a lot, but I think I see some good ideas to try with it. I'll get something up when I get in.
    bored

Another one. Sorry, its a bit over on the file size, because of the background picture I think, but I wanted to leave it at very high quality, easier to work with.
    And sorry about the sad Halo rip, my mate made me do it. I was gonna do something similar anyway, but oooh well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bored

OK,

Yours is pretty good but if you read the Playah Guidelines which can be found in this forum, you'll see that you must retain a portion of the original image in your volley. That's something that I learned from my suck-ass first battle. I totally sucked then but I've gotten better with time.

Again, I'm not trying to be mean to ya. Just givin' ya some guidance.

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Looks to me as if he used your little bushes in his image.....I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Yeah, though I thought they were meant to be creatures of some sort, but hey I don't remember playing Mario, cause I'm sad like that, so I just assumed.
    bored

Erik,

You're so right about that. They didn't even look like bushes to me at first. Glad I took a second look at his volley.

OK,

I'm working on a return volley now. Will post it here when it's finished.