A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: chris-sharpe vs. flashkid105 :: über battle of the newbs!

really? to flip... you just go to Edit > Transform > Flip Horizontal or Flip Vertical.

The key thing for Fireworks and Photoshop is to get deep, and I mean DEEP into layers and layer masks. With layers, your images will gain a sense of depth, and you can definitely control every aspect of your image.

But don't become a layer control freak like me.

example 1 and example 2

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Person called Chris chris-sharpe999's Avatar
    Sorry this one's a bit wierd/crap, it was meant to be the eyes staring out of the swirly thing, with the nose just making the face. Well, didn't work too well, so I'm going back to Fireworks for the rest of this, then I'll try photoshop again. How many more do you want to do for this anyway?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bored

Originally posted by gerbick
    really? to flip... you just go to Edit > Transform > Flip Horizontal or Flip Vertical.

The key thing for Fireworks and Photoshop is to get deep, and I mean DEEP into layers and layer masks. With layers, your images will gain a sense of depth, and you can definitely control every aspect of your image.

But don't become a layer control freak like me.

example 1 and example 2
    rofl at example 2. "scratches" "mo' scratches"
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I found it eventually, but before I could only find how to flip the whole image, which was kinda useless. And I do use layers, and masks a bit, though don't often see the need. Masks in Photoshop are wiiiierd to play about with though.
    bored

No disrespect meant, but using masks and using masks effectively are two different things.

The eyes and nose should have been masked out out of layers above it to allow a clearer look at them in your composition.

And if you're using layers, Transform > Flip Horizontal will only flip that layer/object and not the entire image. That's only if you're truly using layers. Flipping the entire canvas is located under Image > Rotate Canvas > Flip Horizontal or Vertical.

Canvas and layers are quite different.

And I don't quite get the "weird" part though. White shows what's on that layer, black hides.
    Last edited by gerbick; 01-22-2005 at 07:16 PM.

This is the first time I've ever tried to use Photoshop, the flip thing was probably just not knowing where things are in the menus. And I know the black/white thing, I was just trying to put in gradients and stuff and they just didn't seem to be working. I did just find a good tutorial on using them for photos, so I'm just gonna sit around for a bit trying out stuff like that.
    bored

Hey, no prob. Feel free to post questions about Photoshop at Flashkit's Design & Graphics forum.

Unfortunately, the Arena is more showcase, and less tutorial.

I have never used masking in a battle bar once, which was when someone helped me with an image.

correct me if im wrong (and I probably am) but the only advantage of masking over normal selection/removing is that you keep all of the image still? as in its still there for changing later its just hidden...

good luck with the battle guys, it seems you've got a bit of drive to get this many volleys out. if drive is anything to go by you should be getting some mad skills purdy soon.
    subgenius.com

I use masks to allow me to incorporate parts of other images, allow me to layout with a lot more flexibility, and gives me the ability to do all of that without destroying the original pieces. So, if I need more, I can always make it show more. If I need to hide more, then I can hide it as well.

All without losing the original image.

Layer masks are damn near essential for my photo manipulations and layouts. Especially since I combine as much as 10 or more images for my gallery or battle pieces sometimes.