A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Replacement for Norton ??

Really this is me..... mentaleruptions's Avatar

Replacement for Norton ??

Long time no post but its rant and beg for idea time.

I like to many others use Norton to stay protected while online and not long ago purchased Norton Internet Security 2005 which set me back just short of $70. I've been using it since purchased and haven't really had many problems and its done what its always done and kept me safe whilst being online.

Now the rant about the damn thing which has now become more of a problem than anything else. I always new Norton was a ram eater but recently I started to notice a process called "ccProxy.exe" which after doing a google search I learnt it had something to do with the email proxy service that is required for email scanning and the firewall to work. Now for those of you that don't use N.I.S when XP loads when I get online Norton then loads a profile on the computer and this process goes from about 10k to around about 90k when fully loaded until recently.

I started noticing that sometimes it would jump to about 150k while Norton A.T.V was doing its daily scan which again didn't bother me much as I never really did anything on the computer while it was running but now whilst writing this it has gone from 160k to past 230k and its still climbing BUT I don't have anything scanning or any email client open and its not for slowing down that number is getting higher and higher. Has anyone ever had this issue with Norton or is it just me ?? I'm not overly worried about the ram as I've got a gig of it in this laptop but still id rather Photoshop or Flash be using it than some program running in the background keeping me safe when there must be something else that useless way less ram so I'm begging for suggestions so I can put this program in the bin where it now belongs.

Here's a screen shot to show what I'm talking about....

My Flashkit Submited Movies:
    Guestbook: V.1.0 V.1.2 V.1.3 V.1.4 PHP Mail Form: V.1.0
    My Deviantart page: Link

Really this is me..... mentaleruptions's Avatar
    heres the screenshot
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Flashkit Submited Movies:
    Guestbook: V.1.0 V.1.2 V.1.3 V.1.4 PHP Mail Form: V.1.0
    My Deviantart page: Link

NOD32 is a reputable alternative you may try

Cheap Linux, FreeBSD, OpenOffice CDs

ouch!
    tried this?
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
    a few people on FK use this (me included)
    its good and its free!