A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Button problem...

Button problem...

I've been making some buttons using the 3d Flash Animator program and everything is going well....except for when I try to add URL links to the buttons.
    I'm filling in all the required info in the Action section, & it works when I test/play it (i.e - button opens a new page to a forum I've got), but when I save the "movie" & try opening it in IE...it doesn't open the URL link.
    Any ideas?
    Ta.

Hello evernaut,

Can you tell us more about how you are putting the URL link for the button. eg. an example link (doesn't have to be the real thing although, it would be helpful) and what options you are using?

Are you using html frames?

Are you able to export the movie successfully? And, when you view the html page that is automatically generated when exporting, can you see the movie playing in the browser?
    Cheers,
    kusco
    (3DFA Support Team)

Hi Kusco -

here's my fledgling site
    davekeegan.com

..thanks for taking the time to help out....much appreciated.
    The button I made (I'll stick with the MOUTH one for simplicity's sake, although I've made 5 for the site) has the URL
    http://www.truthisacoustic.com/phpbb/index.php
    coded into it. I did this in the Open URL Action section of the button-making process on the "button down" command & selected "new window" from the next menu.
    When I play the whole thing in Movie Properties with the big green button it zooms right on over to the desired link.
    But when I export movie as, in this case Mouth.swf, and try it in the "play movie in browser " option it doesn't.. (although it does look & play fine)
    Nor does it when I upload to Front Page
    and test the link there.
    The exported html looks like this...(without the mp3 sound tho, I've just re-made this one to retread my steps)

<object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
    codebase="http://active.macromedia.com/flash6/cabs/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0"
    id="movie_29" width=160 height=120>
    <param name=movie value="movie_29.swf">
    <param name=quality value=autohigh>
    <param name=bgcolor value=#FFFFFF>
    <param name=wmode value=window>
    <embed src="movie_29.swf" quality=autohigh bgcolor=#FFFFFF
    width=160 height=120 wmode=window type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
    pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">
    </embed></object>

.....and I don't see any sign of the link in there either.
    Bear in mind I am very new to this, so I could be omitting some key step...but I've been pretty thorough.

Cheers for any advice

( btw - just previewed this post & I've no idea how that smiley got into the html code up there...I didn't put it in. Is that normal???)

Hello evernaut,

No worries about helping out...that's what this forum is for.

This is an odd one. Ok, here goes, how are you changing the images when the mouse hovers over the lips? Are you using the the Mouse Over element tab to change the image?

If possible, could you provide a link to the movie file? If you feel more comfortable sending it in to 'help' at 3dfa.com then by all means do. Seeing the movie will be of great help.

BTW, the smilie would have appeared because of the classid... a : and a D when combined will give you .... it's normal. You can turn them off by checking the 'Disable Smilies in This Post' which is located above the 'Submit ...' button.
    Last edited by kusco; 01-12-2005 at 09:04 AM.
    Cheers,
    kusco
    (3DFA Support Team)

Originally posted by kusco

This is an odd one. Ok, here goes, how are you changing the images when the mouse hovers over the lips? Are you using the the Mouse Over element tab to change the image?

Yes.

"Normal" in Add New Element is the orange button.
    "Mouse Over" Element is the mouth pic.
    "Button Down" Element is the megaphone pic.
    Then I go to "Add New Action" and choose "Button Down" to add my URL link.
    Then I add the Sound file & finish.

I've sent you the movie.swf file by email - is that what you meant?

Ta!

BTW - I'm assuming you don't have to neccesarily choose ALL the steps in the button-making process do you?
    I didn't put anything in for Hot Zone in the Element tab, or Button Up, Mouse Over & Mouse Leave in the Action tab.

Oh yeah. You definitely can set actions the way you want. You don't need a hot zone if it is not necessary. You would be fine with just a normal, mouse over and button down config. Seriously!

A couple more things, though. First, make sure you've paid the registration fee and activated your license in 3DFA since animations exported after the seven day trial always link to www.3dfa.com if not. I don't know if that's the case with you or not, but I just thought I'd suggest. The stupidest thing on this forum the guys have seen is for this to happen, and it's crazy - but ya gotta be legal ya know - however it qualifies here as Public Enemy Numero Uno.

Second, I suggest using the button up event for the navigation. For one thing, it matches the most common behavior of any target OS, for seamless simplicity. For another, it's less annoying.
    Last edited by JSDvs9172; 01-12-2005 at 11:45 PM.
    Jeffrey Davis (3DFA user since 2.x... or was it 3.x?) (Yes, I finally reveal the offline identity of JSDvs9172, being myself of course. Oh, and sorry for stealing your signature idea, blanius, which I see you stopped using.)

Ta, but not the case....
    I can't get the damn things to link ANYWHERE

Okay, now that we know that let's try something else. As with straight HTML, you have to know the path to the file you want. For example: if the file is a html file in a directory (a.k.a. folder) called juggernaut that is a subdirectory (subfolder) of the directory (folder) containing the HTML/ASP/ASPX/PHP/ETC. and/or SWF from which you are linking, the syntax to link is juggernaut/nameoffile.html; for a villian subdirectory in the juggernaut subdirectory in the current directory/subdirectory the syntax is juggernat/villian/nameoffile.html; and so forth.

On the other hand, though, if the juggernaut subdirectory is in the parent of the current subdirectory the syntax is ../juggernat/nameoffile.html or ../juggernat/villian/nameoffile.html, respectively. Two subdirectories up would be ../../juggernaut/nameoffile.html or ../../juggernat/villian/nameoffile.html, respectively. And so on.

On the other hand, though, if the file you want is in the directory/subdirectory containing the HTML/ASP/ASPX/PHP/ETC. and/or SWF from which you are linking, all you need to do is name the file - in that case, nameoffile.html is all you would need.

Sounds a lot like that part of the cartoon of Hooberbloob's Highway, if you've ever seen it! (Er, sorry for the Dr. Suess reference, couldn't help it!!!)
    Jeffrey Davis (3DFA user since 2.x... or was it 3.x?) (Yes, I finally reveal the offline identity of JSDvs9172, being myself of course. Oh, and sorry for stealing your signature idea, blanius, which I see you stopped using.)