dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: DVD creation?

DVD creation?

Hi all

Just a quick question, i have just literally been asked to do a freelance job, which is to create a DVD which will contain some video clips, alot of text and image based graphics
    My question is which program do youse think i should use, have never had to do a DVD before so this is all new to me, was thinking that director would be the program.

whatever pprogram is used it must deliver good quality graphics

any suggestions

all welcome

J
    Meanie_22

To my knowledge most CD roms are created with Director as its more of a heavy duty program. As far as action scripting I think it uses a different language called Lingo. I fyou already know Flash then i'd stick wih that.

yeah i am more familiar with flash than director though i have experience with it. and yes lingo is the term.

thanks for that.
    Meanie_22

are you creating a interactive cd or dvd ?

i thought you needed seperate programmes to make it work in a dvd player - but i don't actually know

it will be interactive DVD - see thats what i thought though i do not know anything about creatin DVDs as everything i have done to date as been cd - i thought there may have been particular programmes you had to use - and that flash would not be appropriate
    Meanie_22

You don't have to use Director to create a DVD since the DVD Video standard has the ability to have text, video & menus (just look at extra features on a normal DVD movie). If you use standard DVD Video format then the clients can view the DVD on a normal DVD Player as well as a computer. If you choose a DVD Data disc using Director, it is alot more complex to create, and like you said, you need to learn Lingo.

so does that mean you need a different programme to create it in or can you export out of flash in "dvd standard format" if so how ?

i'm quite interested in this aswell and just never known where to start ....

You need DVD Authoring software (Eg. Adobe Encore, ULead DVD Workshop, Sonic DVD Producer, Sony DVD Arcitect, TMPGEnc DVD Author etc.).

As for using Flash to create DVD menus, that would be cool! But I don't know any software that can do that.

Adobe Encore for example uses Photoshop (PDF) files to create it's menu's. But it's quite expensive. TMPGEnc is the cheapest (I think), but not a user-friendly.

Of course since Flash can export as video files so these could be used as backgrounds for DVD menus. You may have seen a DVD movie with a menu that has looping video for the background. Any video file can be used for that and the menu text is simply overlayed over the video.

okay so flash cant do it, but these other packages can! but how difficult are these to learn i have never heard of them before so dont have a clue about them. And do these packages offer the same design quality....in the visual appearance of the graphics and so on.

are u absolutley sure flash cannot be used? if not can director?
    or any of the macromedia range. My strnegths lie here so if i cant use them then i will have to turn the job down, no point in producing a poor quality standard of work.
    Meanie_22

Hi I'm working with DVD prod. and my advice is.
    If. You wish to create movie clips with Flash you better try to perform a check of the movie in one of the common applications to do that. Like Quick time or Windows Media Player, etc..

I tryed to make an animation in flash for a DVD and flash has a problem with the .mov and .avi files cause when you playback the movie it looks like a frame by frame (slow motion) effect as long as you work with jpg, tiff or any bitmap resource.

So i had to work with FinalCut Pro to make this animations then you can use an DVD Authoring software like DVD studioPro (I'm work with mac platform so I don't know DVD Auth. Soft. for PC)and if you are familiar with controling timeline in flash it would be very easy to find out how to make your DVD project.