A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Menu buttons with submenu buttons on rollover

Menu buttons with submenu buttons on rollover

I have a menu with 4 buttons. You can click them to go to their links. I also need them to show a submenu with buttons.

I think I know the process but not real sure and as this project is an ASAP that landed on my desk last week I need to work on other parts of the site while I wait for the correct technique from the knowledgable people here. [/shameless buttkissing]

So I 'think' I would put a submenu MC in the main button rollovers. What I was wondering is how the submenu would stay visible when the user rolls off the main button onto the submenu section.

I also thought of just swapping each main button MC on rollover. The second main button MC would have the main button, the submenu and sub buttons in it. But then when the user rolls off the submenu part, how would I get it to swap back to just the main button?

My lack of advanced AS knowledge is a big hinderance.

Here's the link for visual help.
    http://www.brazosportinfo.com/_webwork/itma/index.htm

Thanks for the read and your help.

jason
    I Flash, therefore I am.

Looking at your layout, you don't really have room for an expanding type menu. Submenu's rolling or dropping out make the movie bigger, so in your layout, where's it going to go?

Something else to think about. Your links go to different html pages. Did you know that search engine spiders can't [or don't] follow links inside a flash movie? If this site is dependant upon spiders listing your pages, then use an html menu.

the submenu will roll out to the right of the main menu and logo...it will cover the right side of the left movie. those arent the final photos on the left movie...i'm looking into ones that have the main focus on the right side...you'll see the train/truck/plane/ship when the menu is normal, but when you rollover the menu items, the submenu will cover part of the train/truck/plane/ship...i've attached an image showing the submenu

this site isn't really worried about search engines...plus I have all of the main links in HTML format elsewhere on the pages
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I Flash, therefore I am.

I'm going to attach a fla that shows how to make a menu expand and stay expanded while the mouse moves. You should be able to make it work for your instance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Detailed steps pls...

Hi Iaskwhy,

Your sample file was great, the problem is im a newbie in flash & I want to learn the exact concept how that menu was made. Can you send me a detailed steps on how to create that menu, because i tried a lot of sample menu in the site but still I cant create one or even follow.

Thanks in advance.
    If you want to help, then give without asking

There are two secrets to this type of menu. One is the menu movie clip on the stage has hit test code applied to it. That's necessary because you can not use button code on a movie clip that has buttons inside it. That code opens the menu. When it is open, there is a hit area, that is just a fill color with no alpha. That acts to keep the menu open when the mouse moves over the lower button area. Notice there is no space between the main menu movie clip hit area and the expanded menu hit area. If there were, it would loose contact when the mouse moves from main to bottom.