A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Load Movie/Txt File Complications

Hybrid View

Pixel Ninja

Load Movie/Txt File Complications

I'm a little confused over here and for the life of me I can't figure this one out. Here's the situation...

I've create a swf that reads info from a txt file and this movie works great on it's own. No problem here.

I have a main swf that loads individual swf's into it depending on the users clicks. No problem here either.

In this main movie when the first swf is called upon, it loads properly, however it doesn't read the txt file. This is the problem.

All the appropriate files are in the same folder and the text box is a different colour than the text itself. I can't figure it out. Again, the swf reads the text perfectly on it's own. But once the main movie loads it, it runs, but doesn't read the txt file.

Any suggestions out there for me?

Thanks,
    *bluehaus

Beyond the Sea

resolved

I believe the problem lies with the target of the action. What target do you have for the movieclip that loads the txt file? If it has a / in front of it, it's trying to find that movie clip in the main timeline, not in the loaded movie clip.

Try relative addressing. Instead of something like this: /movieclip
    Try this:
    movieclip
    or something like this:
    ../movieclip
    (this one is usefull if the target movieclip is one timeline above the movie clip that is calling it)

hope this helps,
    Rich
    http://www.richpaul.com

Pixel Ninja
    Ok, I tried that and still nothing. This is so frustrating. Do you have any other ideas for me?
    Thanks for your time by the way,

*bluehaus

Beyond the Sea

resolved

hmm...if it's not the targetting...I'm not sure...

go ahead and send me the FLA, if you want and I'll take a look. I'm off of work tomorrow (WOOHOO!) and could probably play with it a bit.

Rich
    rich@richpaul.com