A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Gecko-based browsers

Hybrid View

Gecko-based browsers

hi.

a few days back i wrote that i was having problems with flash sending data to webservices from any gecko-based browser. it seemed strange because it was working in internet explorer just fine. then i found someone having similar problems on livedocs and someone told them to go into their Macromedia/Players folder and reinstall the player.

well, i went into my Players folder and it was totally empty so i went to macromedia.com and reinstalled the player from there and everything started magically working from gecko browsers. needless to say, i was psyched.

but now, 2 days later, i'm getting the same problem again. i've tried reinstalling the flash player 3 times to no avail. it's got to be something else, but what.....??? active x..???

anyone come across s/thing like this before or have any ideas?

thanks for any suggestions.

fumeng.

Hi,

ya know i just had firefox totally puke on me the other day, it wouldn't open any getURL's at all but IE would so i uninstalled all my extensions no go, completely uninstalled firefox and re-installed firefox, same thing. Then i noticed that during the uninstallation it doesn't get rid of your Mozilla/ Firefox folder around this area:
    C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Mozilla

so i uninstalled again and dumped that folder that had a bunch of extension info and prefs and what not, reinstalled and now things are back to normal. I'm wondering if i had a bad extension in there cause i had quite a few installed.

Does it work on mozilla based browsers on other machines or does it just crap out on yours?

Dunc

hi dunc. thanks for replying.

the thing is is that i don't have an "application data" file on my machine. i'm on a windows machine. i can get to:
    code:

C:/Documents and Settings/Username/

- but then i have folders like 'Desktop', 'Favorites', 'My Documents', 'Start menu', etc...

but i uninstalled and reinstalled firefox anyway and it's still not making the remoting calls.

i've heard of firefox crapping out on a lot of people. but i'd hate to think there's not some documentation somewhere pointing to fixes and stuff. i don't know...

hey,

yea i'm on windows also, the application data folder is a hidden folder, you need to make sure your showing hidden files and folders in tools/folder options, 'view tab', 'hidden files and folders'. When you uninstall and re-install are all your prefs and stuff still set?

Dunc

ok. i get it. i uninstalled firefox again and then deleted that folder. then i reinstalled and saw that folder put back there. it still doesn't make the remoting calls from firefox.

when i debug live, my component is not even trying to connect. it's like that part is being skipped over. my component's placed on the stage on the first frame of my movie and i'm invoking the method to connect that component on the first frame as well. is that a problem?

for the last week i've been thinking it must be the browser. it works out of the ide, but not on a live web server. is there somewhere else i should be looking or s/thing i'm not seeing that i need to consider.

thanks for helping, dunc. i really appreciate it.

strange indeed, to be honest i use amfphp for remoting quite frequently and have never had any problems with mo based browsers. I also don't use the components either as they seem to add a few extra kb to the filesize. Do you have a test harness setup that i could try to connect to using firefox by chance?

Dunc